Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: I would consider purchasing an XR if:
I was in the market for a sportbike. 20 4.99%
I was in the market for a commuter/standard. 169 42.14%
I was in the market for a power cruiser. 38 9.48%
Ralph's, Kroger's...Who cares! I don't want one. 174 43.39%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
bmwdude
Founding Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part 1

Good start on this story!

I had no idea that the average American bike mileage was so low! I ride around 30k miles a year, but I also use my bike for transportation to and from work. A 55 mile round trip.

Rain riding is a big part on this. Many hours and miles spent in the rain every year. I look forward to reading the rest of what you have to tell us on the subject.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default New Poll: Rain Riding

Be sure to vote in the Rain Riding Poll on the right column of our main news page.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Tigercub
Founding Member

I hope part 2 includes how to quickly clean the bike when you get home. BTW, which bike cleans up fastest?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

It's raining now in LALA land and I just got back from the post office on the CL. I'm sitting here nice and dry, except for my boots which are soaked.

I wear a US Navy Aircrew Dry Suit with booties and everything. Put a slicker over that, and I'm ready for the North Atlantic.

Check out some surplus stores, especially if you live close to a military base. Lots of great wet-cold weather gear from uncle sam. Pawn shops too.

Nice to know that my old green codura nylon aircrew jacket slides across the tarmac better than my leather one.

Plastic bags & duct tape work in a pinch for boot covers if you're out and about and it starts raining.

Thanks for the good read.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
eekadog
Founding Member

As long as my underwear doesn't get wet i'm fine....
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
bboule
Founding Member

Nothing beats a good cordura suit, a good pair of gore-tex boots, and a second pair of gloves.

After several years of stuffing on my bulky, non-breathable rainsuit and boot covers I ended up getting a Dainese cordura suit & then eventually got some Daytona boots.

I still haven't gotten the gloves "solved", but with heated grips I just swap my gloves to a pair that is warm when wet and put my nice leather gloves in the bags.

Saves a ton of time and it's so much more comfortable then raingear. Here in New England we get lots of unpredictable weather, it almost always rains for part of the day anytime you take a long ride, having to keep donning and removing the raingear each time the weather changes gets old fast.

I hope to get some good gloves with drawstring guantlets at some point to complete the whole thing. Gloves are IMO the hardest part, I hate riding with glove covers or lobster mitts. You lose feel on the control just when you need it the most.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
davidhaner
Founding Member

As a mutant seattleite whose 2nd vehicle is needed by my wife, I commute daily on my bike, and obviously very frequently in the rain. I'm not quite like bmwdude, I think I put about 7k miles per year on my bike (my commute is a few miles but I always take the long route just to get a longer ride in).

I've found that my fieldsheer pants, jacket, and standard olympic leather gloves (although I use fieldsheer gloves as well when I go east into the colder higher altitudes) work great in the rain. I'm never wet, I'm rarely cold at all. I wear standard engineer's boots by double-H boots and they are completely water-proof as far as I can tell. I bought a timbuk2 bike messenger bag that works great in the rain; it's completely waterproof, although admittedly the only stuff that goes in it generally are groceries. It holds a ton though; I made a big old chicken dinner for 6 and everything fit in there, including the whole chicken, a bag of potatoes, and an apple pie on top.

I'm looking forward to more information on riding strategy in the rain.

Bike prep eh? The only thing I do is clean and lube more than most folks probably. Also, I leave my bike outside year round, so that would be necessary anyway. I wonder what I'm missing.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
eddyline
Founding Member

Ah, yes; everyone at work thinks I'm insane, since as long as my bike's running, I will ride it. I've only driven to work four days in the last nine months, and two of those were because I had worn the rear tire to the belts(didn't realize until one sunday, when I went to a friend's to meet for a ride and noticed a different rubber compund).

Of course, it's still So Cal, and almost never really rains, and since I grew up in the Northwest....
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
red-silver
Founding Member

Default The glove problem...

Thanks for a great intro on rain riding. I rode in winter weather for two years (30 years ago).

A couple of observations. 1) For me the problem wasn't staying dry, in was the convenience issue (or lack of it!). My job required slacks, shirt & tie, nice shoes, etc. My ride was a 650 Yamaha with a Vetter fairing & hippo hands.

I would get dressed in my work clothes, pull a waxed barbour suit on over all that, stuff my dress loafers in the pocket of the Vetter, lace up a pair of linemans boots. Then ride 30 miles over SF penninsula mountain roads to Cupertino. Then get out of all that s**t, and hang it up to drip dry, slip on my loafers! Then do it all again to go home! That is why I don't commute in the rain. I didn't like the hassle of all that then, I sure as heck wouldn't like it now (in my mid 50's!). Longer trips in inclement weather weren't so bad!

2) Nobody has talked about "Hippo Hands" although I know that they are still available, (maybe not under that name). A waterproof Nagahyde covering that slips over the ends of the bars (sealing up around the contol cable entrances). You slip you lightly gloved hand inside and ~ warm & dry without undo bulk around your control levers & switches.
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
red-silver
Founding Member

Default For the glove solution~

I just found this site: www.hippohands.com

Back in the day when I rode in the rain they worked great!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote