Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: I would consider purchasing an XR if:
I was in the market for a sportbike. 20 4.99%
I was in the market for a commuter/standard. 169 42.14%
I was in the market for a power cruiser. 38 9.48%
Ralph's, Kroger's...Who cares! I don't want one. 174 43.39%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #71
Crash60
Founding Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part One

Just what I needed as I plan for some longer trips that will surely include rain.

So, where's Part II?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #72
joefelder
Registered Member

Thank you for the great article! I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks that the GI issue poncho is garbage as a rainsuit, and even worse as a tent. Right now i'm in Korea and was looking for a good article on waterproofing myself, as the rain here can be surreal. Thanks to you I found out that I needed a moisture wicking layer. Do you think that Under Armour would work?
joefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #73
FRE
Founding Member

The solution to fogged up eyeglasses is contact lenses; I got them to solve that problem. Unfortunately, you cannot wait 'til it rains to put them on since you first have to wash your hands then need a sheltered place to insert them. Thus, it is necessary to put the contacts in when there is a possibility of rain.

Although contact lenses are not an ideal solution, they do work.

FRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #74
bkwst1300
Registered Member

In warm summer months, I recommend NO GEAR if you are fortunate enough to be on an ST1300 on an interstate. You DO need to be able to go 75MPH+ for the fairing to work its magic. This trick does not work at 55MPH. This summer I departed a friend's house in Cincinatti toward Louisville and donned my never-before-used yellow rainsuit (thin, cheap, PVC). The rain was just a mist and the temperature was about 87F. Stopping for lunch past Louisville, I found I was SOAKED TO THE BONE from all the sweat trapped in the bloody rain suit. The remaining 3 hours of my trek to the motherland I did without the suit, by then having escaped the drizzle.

About 30 miles from the final destination, I caught up with a NASTY thunderstorm complete with lightning and TORRENTIAL rain. Luckily no major wind - 60MPH crosswinds on an ST1300 requires nearly a full lean to drive a straight line, as I have found the hard way. Add to the excitement that every time a semi passes you, the wind is momentarily blocked and guess where that extreme lean wants to send you...

Humming along at 75+, the air around the ST's fairing creates a "watertight" bubble. I was passing tractor trailers and NOT getting drenched. Only my arms and lower legs got wet at all, torso completely dry. It was raining so hard as to not be able to see much at all, but I was truly amazed how dry I stayed.

For cooler weather, I'm pleased with Gerbing gear. I commuted 75 miles one-way a couple of years ago, one day finding myself in 27F air. The electric suit was comfy at 85MPH, wonder what the windchill factor was? The potential downside: blow a fuse and you're dead meat!!

bkwst1300 is offline   Reply With Quote