Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: I would consider purchasing an XR if:
I was in the market for a sportbike. 20 4.99%
I was in the market for a commuter/standard. 169 42.14%
I was in the market for a power cruiser. 38 9.48%
Ralph's, Kroger's...Who cares! I don't want one. 174 43.39%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #61
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part 1

same here dainese cordura two piece ....very water proof for a least 2 years now...a pair of alpine stars smx boots and the gloves alpine stars jet road goretex...it will take a least an hour for heavy rain to penetrate them and they have some carbon fibre knuckle protectors...it will take a week to get used to the heavier feel on the throttle if you wear light gloves normally
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #62
frytz
Registered Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part One

First, riding in the rain is like driving in the snow, if you're good at it, it's much more engaging, and I would argue, in many ways more fun than in the dry. It certainly is much easier to reach the limit without going stupid fast. As a result, one becomes more comfortable with their skills in the wet and dry.

A few years ago, I bought a downhill ski/snowboard helmet liner. It has a super-thin synthetic material on the head, down to the top of the neck, and a thicker fleece on the neck, and down into the jacket. It makes rides into the low 30s quite enjoyable, and easily fits inside my regular helmet because it's so thin.

I encounter limited fogging problems, but have found Rain-X Anti-Fog to work very well on both my motorcycle helmet visor, and hockey helmet visor. It does need to be reapplied from time to time.
frytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #63
GrufRude
Registered Member

NikWax Aqueous leather treatment has made mink oil totally obsolete. Most amazing leather water-proofing substance I've used in 41 years of riding. I learned about the stuff from maniac backpack elk hunters here in Wyoming, who tromp around in deep snow in the mountains for a week at a time and I can attest, the stuff flat WORKS!
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #64
Mollygrubber
Founding Member

Default Re: Thats how they spell it in Canada sortof

Hey man, even Canadians know the difference between greek food and head garments. I'm tellin ya, them toques are mighty good deep fried!
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:03 AM   #65
maladg
Registered Member

Ride in the rain? What a great way to cool off on a hot GA summer day - unless the lightning starts then yours truly heads to the barn and with good reason.

Ever had your hearing out of commission for a few minutes 'cause lightning hit so close?

Ever seen a tornado spin up from the saddle of your cycle? I did - just west of Lawton, OK and again on Nebraska Route 2 about 60 miles east of Alliance....sw quad of a rotating supercell.

Yes, I ride in the rain! No, I don't ride in the rain. Depends on the rain, don't it.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 AM   #66
Haru
Founding Member

my expereince with rain gear

1. I found cheap rain proof overalls that go over my regular gear that work extremely well at keeping me dry in pouring rain, including going over my boots. Only problem was sweatiness when the rain stopped. but for the price and convenience, a very effective solution.

2. most disatisfied with my helmets for cold/rain. I have an RF800 and an RF900. while they are not top of the line, they are not cheap low end either. THey do not seal well. even with vents closed, face shield down, a cold stream of air flows over my scalp that chills my head. wearing a balaclava under the helmet doesn't help too much. I can't go around buying helmets to try in the rain/cold so I don't have a satisfactory solution here yet.

3. I remember a magazine test years and years ago of rain gloves and boots. never mind the issues of comfort, dexterity, etc, but many of these were not very rain proof, and most eventually let water in. Very few were totally water proof. as in, 6 hours in pouring rain.

4. WIthout gear that I am SURE will NEVER let water in and will still provide protection, I am left with little option but to use those cheap waterproof overalls over my regular gear.

5. rain riding really needs a saddle bag to carry overalls, spare shield with fogcity shield for night riding, etc.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #67
FrankS1
Founding Member

The comments have pretty well covered the ground (make that "covered the body"?), but the correspondents seem to NOT ride BMW GS's or dual sport bikes or real rat bikes. All this concern about cleaning up the bike afterwards - chain excepted - merely shows that the riders have the wrong kind of motorcycle.

Well with a BMW, you don't need to clean the chain, either..
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:22 AM   #68
JBBruski
Founding Member

Thanks for the informative arcticle. Being a "Born Again" motorcyclist with a limited amount of rain experience most of my rain riding questions have just been answered. Keep up the good work.
JBBruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #69
ebath
Founding Member

Great start on the subject! I've got the clothing part covered and can't wait for the next installment.

My concerns are painted lines, tar snakes, grated bridges, railroad tracks, etc.

I ride year round in Virginia and could add ~4,000 per year if I could ride in the rain.

Thanks for the info and keep the good information coming.

Ed

ebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #70
Edster
Founding Member

Helmet fogging and rain sheeting.

When I was stationed in Japan there was all kinds of stuff available as many folks commuted on bikes because its cheaper overall and parking is not a problem.

Now that I am the US again I've stumble across some interesting little tricks.

Fogging; a small drop of dishwashing soap smeared thourougly on the inside of the shield then buffed dry works well for a few days. Once water hits it you'll need to reapply.

Rain Sheeting; Spray a bit of KIWI CAMP DRY on the out side then wipe until you see a slight film. This works on lexan shields as well as RainX does for car windshields. In Japan there was actually stuff specifically designed for this anlong w/ all other kinds of neat doo dads for the cycle commuter.

Edster
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote