Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: I would consider purchasing an XR if:
I was in the market for a sportbike. 20 4.99%
I was in the market for a commuter/standard. 169 42.14%
I was in the market for a power cruiser. 38 9.48%
Ralph's, Kroger's...Who cares! I don't want one. 174 43.39%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #51
charltonsdad
Founding Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part One

As a re-entry rider coming off a LONG break, I appreciated the great tips; especially putting the gauntlet UNDER the sleeve of the jacket. My cordura jacket w/removable quilted liner has been great this winter. Just got a full face hat and that makes a big difference. Still need to solve the hand problem. Have used the two fingered lobster claw glove/mitten but they're not perfect.

Looking forward to the next in the series
charltonsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 AM   #52
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well I like the rain 'cause I can slide my old Dodge truck around like Junior Johnson and his Pontiac Silver Chief.

"How high's the water mama?"
Old 03-29-2006, 08:21 AM   #53
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Riding in the rain is dangerous and no fun, I don't do it. I want the sun on my back and clean, dry, warm roads. A Yamaha R1 in the rain is kind of like buying Jeep and never taking it off road----if you're not using it to do what it's designed for, what's the point?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:29 AM   #54
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part 1

Great tip - Thanks!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #55
gas_pig
Founding Member

My '02 FZ1 does just fine in the rain. If you you're going above 45mph or so you can tuck in a bit behind the small windscreen and the airflow will roll the rain right off your helmet's visor.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #56
gas_pig
Founding Member

Yeah... I've got a DRZ that I'll sell ya... never been in rain, mud, or crashed.....
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #57
gas_pig
Founding Member

Your analogy seems flawed. How about....

Only riding an R1 in the rain would be like buying a Jeep and never taking it off-road.

I don't think most of the folks here enjoy riding in the rain more than in the sun. What they are saying is that they'd rather ride to work in the rain than take their cars... which I can fully understand.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #58
esoteric0001
Registered Member

Thanks for the inciteful article Gabe-O. I too have ridden with the brotherhood of clamy-crotch. Hey, they're a swell bunch but I'm really looking for an excuse to ditch them......sorry guys....it's not you......it's me.

AV

(When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults....)
esoteric0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #59
NukleoN
Founding Member

Funny article! Useful info too...I've been riding my R1 to work since Oct....every day. That means I've been caught in some awful rainstorms here in SoCal. I have a Widder 'Lectric vest which thankfully kept me mostly warm, though certainly not dry. The odd thing is...it's possible to be warm and wet..but it's still icky.

Good call on the race rep helmets too, or any busy design. It works like camoflage since it the patterns tend to break up the silhouette of an object. I've been saying this for years....that's why I go with solid colors (black) but tons of reflectives for night riding (I glow like a Christmas tree heh).

I love the anti-fogging insert thingie...that's the biggest complaint with riding in the rain...fogging would force me to open my shield, then rain would get in..then I'd be forced to open the shield in stinging, ice-cold rain to clear the inside of the shield..heh..not the best thing to do when riding.

Great stuff..looking forward to the electric vest section in part II.

Dan
NukleoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #60
bcvaughan
Founding Member

timely article. i needed a scuba tank on the 50 mile ride home up the 405 here in socal last night. the darien jacket kept my top dry; the bmw overpants did not do the same down below. pants are 4 years old. gonna have to get those treatment products.

the bmw contours kept the feet dry; the held gortex/fabric gloves did not do the same for the hands.

on the rt1150, the heated grips, jacket liner and seat(!) did a lot to make the trip a nonevent. made it easier to concentrate on the cagers, botts dots, road paint and broken down/lightless autos on the bahn.

keep 'em coming.
bcvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote