Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: I would consider purchasing an XR if:
I was in the market for a sportbike. 20 4.99%
I was in the market for a commuter/standard. 169 42.14%
I was in the market for a power cruiser. 38 9.48%
Ralph's, Kroger's...Who cares! I don't want one. 174 43.39%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #31
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Pain in the neck!

I have neck thingees and balaclavas and what-not, but I don't like them; they get in the way of my chinstrap or keep the collar of my Aerostich from closing all the way, but I should have mentioned them, you are right. I was just trying to focus on the basics of cold-weather gear.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #32
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part One

For me, the most essential item of equipment for riding in the rain is one of those visor wiper blades that fits over one finger of your gloves. They're called vee-wipes on this side of the Atlantic. I have one in the pocket of every bike jacket I own, just in case it rains...Being able to see where you're going is as good as extra brakes.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #33
eojmo
Founding Member

I always carry a set of those pack away nylon fabric waterproof pants and jacket.You get them from most hiking stores,they are waterproof,wind proof ,have air vents and they stow away in a smallish pouch.I ride in my usual leather jacket and just slip them on when it gets cold or wet.No need to worry about a heavy outfit to cart around when you get to your destination,just shake off and stuff them away.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:40 AM   #34
NevadaNez
Founding Member

Thanks much for an informative and interesting article. Having just moved from the sunny and DRY deserts of Nevada to the rainy and muggy South (Nashville, TN), i was suddenly faced with a type of riding i really hadn't done in the last 20 years. While most of this information i have seen before, it was sure nice to refresh the memory and also pick up some info on new products.

Since moving here, I have put a pair of Frogg Toggs in my saddlebags and have mink-oiled all my leather. When dem ol storm clouds are agatherin, i flick on the grip and seat heat and get the voice warmed up for some singing in the rain....
Old 03-29-2006, 01:50 AM   #35
mikehe
Founding Member

I've ridden many miles in the rain with a Cycloak jacket, Frank Thomas pants and Sidi shoes and never had much of a problem. Last fall, I ran into the mother of all deluges. On a trip back from New Mexico through US 90 in west Texas, I ran into a storm that rained (according to the Weather Channel) at the rate of 4 inches an hour. My main problem was with fog and water on the inside of the visor. It seemed as though every time a semi went by, the visor would start to shimmy and a little moisture would make its way in. Any attempt to clean it only made it worse. As I made my way through Del Rio, the puddles were deep enough that water was catching on the boots. I finally had to stop for the day.
mikehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:06 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm not sure I could make it through one of those brutal California winters. It must be rough.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:29 AM   #37
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part 1

Try S100 or the same product from honda sold as Hondabrite. Spray the bike off w/ a hose then spray on the S100 dirt comes right off. Works good even with off road muck
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:40 AM   #38
supamotard
Registered Member

Nice write-up!

Nothing beat an Aerostich's VeeWipe SqueeGee on your left index finger to keep your visor clear of roadspray for when you're not going fast enough to clear it by turning your head.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...e-p-16506.html

And nothing sucks worse than cleaning/drying your bike when you get home with wetcrak and swampnuts.
supamotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:41 AM   #39
supamotard
Registered Member

Nice write-up!

Nothing beats an Aerostich's VeeWipe SqueeGee on your left index finger to keep your visor clear of roadspray for when you're not going fast enough to clear it by turning your head.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...e-p-16506.html

And nothing sucks worse than cleaning/drying your bike when you get home with wetcrak and swampnuts.
supamotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #40
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Default Re: The glove problem...

Ever tried an Aerostich Roadcrafter? Two zippers, that's it. I'm a lawyer (and a woman) and I used to wear a 'stich when I rode to court on occasion. I'd walk in with all my gear and an RKA bag with my papers, and take off my suit . . . that got a lot of attention from the judge, so we'd banter in a friendly way and then I'd go argue my case (and win).

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote