Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: I would consider purchasing an XR if:
I was in the market for a sportbike. 20 4.99%
I was in the market for a commuter/standard. 169 42.14%
I was in the market for a power cruiser. 38 9.48%
Ralph's, Kroger's...Who cares! I don't want one. 174 43.39%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part 1

Excellent article. The layer thing is really important. The Fog City shield thing works great However, the adhesive only worked for one season for me. Also I found these items useful a baclava to protect your neck and chin and a chin curtain

The glove discussion was really great Gabe.

Great writing for a rain amatuer... just kidding. I seem some pretty good storms in California..

kpaul

(reformed rain rider now a fair weather wimp)

Seattle

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
ksquid
Banned

Default Excellent Point

" I do is clean and lube more than most folks probably." Yep a mechanic at Kent Kawasaki told me to make sure to clean and lube the chain.. more than Kalifornians would

Gloves were always my problem when I commuted...My Olympic gloves were a soggy mess when I arrived at work....
Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #13
johnnyb
Founding Member

Nice. I'd like to read about riding in whipped cream next. Or maybe Jell-O. maybe one those jell-o molds with fruit in it also.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #14
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: How To: Rain Riding Part One

Interesting artical gabe. I'm amazed at the low average milage, I usually average that in a month. The bread bag thing doesn't really work though for the same reasons, your feet sweat and the bag holds the moisture in. The best rain and general riding boots I've tried is Sidi On Road Sympatex, I've had a pair for about four or five years, wear them on the bike and at work all day with just a pair of Fox River syn-wool blend socks. I've never had a problem with cold or wet feet. I've tried everything from Sorel Caribo's (work great except zero shift or brake feel) to Chippewa Engineer boots slathered in Hubbards Boot Grease which also work well but not as warm and the Sidi's work best in all conditions. I have a pair of 15 year old TourMaster Elite gloves that were great till they wore holes in a few places, now I use them in conjuction with the little nylon rain covers if it's cold and as long as the holes don't line up between the two they're still fairly warm.

Other than that, J.R. Ballistic suits work pretty well for the money but they wear through if you slide down the highway.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
ksquid
Banned

Default Thanks

Thanks man. This is just the thing that might work for me.. I like to wear tight gloves for control... but they would always get soggy. I can't stand big gloves with no feel. hippo hands allows the me to wear my normal gloves. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
orcyclist
Founding Member

Welcome from the Rainy Pacific NW. I am a year round rider. Gabe's tips are all great. Especially the heated vest.

Here's some tips I have for you folk.

1. Dry hands. Go to an Industrial supply store (safety equipment and the like) and buy some large rubber gloves, heavy duty to wear over your gloves. (The place here in Portland has about 15 different thicknesses and types. WAY cheaper than anything morotcycle specific and very durable, too. Why over the gloves - so when/if you crash you will still have lots of abrasion protection.

2. Check out a vest by Vision vests. No, I have no interest in them and they didn't pay me to say this. They are a tough vest that has lots of reflective material on it. It can be put on over your rain gear.

3. Wear a WHITE helmet - see the Hurt report. The tips about reflective stuff on the helmet are well taken ( I have the turn signal arrows for my Shoei flip up helmet.) Some of my friends laugh at me for being so visible, but if it saved one driver from changing lanes into me I'll take the ribbing.

4. Sailing rainsuits (I got mine for $50 at Costco) which feature a bib type pants and a long jacket in a bright color, are great. Warm too. (Sailing suits are almost always bright and have reflective trim because if you fall overboard on a rainy night you really want to be seen!!)

5. Always check braking traction when starting out in the rain. Practice braking in the rain.

6. Learn about increased stopping ditance the easy way (before) rather than the hard way (BANG!) Slow down!!

I put over 30 K mile on my bike last year and rode in all kinds of weather (except snow). As was stated in the article, it's not half bad if you dress for it. Having experience riding in the rain gives you confidence and that makes for a much more relaxed rider when it does get wet.

Keep the rubber side down. Watch out for the manhole covers and white lines!

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #17
ksquid
Banned

That sounds like something you would see at Sturgis..i.e. get two big girls with DDs (the kind Buz likes) on some harleys and have them ride around in ice rink full of whipped cream.bumping in to each other. Topless of course... Jello would work too.. God I am sick man.....Too much on demand
Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #18
johnnyb
Founding Member

Number one, have spare set of wheels with fresh rains ready to go, and teach your wife to swap them quicklike or else..
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #19
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Baclava?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #20
skeepee
Registered Member

Now that's what I call a sticky situation.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote