Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Does such a bike exist?? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3437-does-such-bike-exist.html)

schizuki 03-28-2006 10:02 AM

Re: Does such a bike exist??

"previous bikes were CBR600, Katana 750, VTR1000. I need more sport than those"

I can't offhand think of any passenger-comfortable two-up bike that will give you the "sport" you're looking for. Comfort + performance = compromise. Sounds like you're looking for a 10/10ths sportbike, which wouldn't have passenger comfort on its mission statement.

mscuddy 03-28-2006 10:03 AM

Re: YES...

That Yamaha MO just tested looks pretty good.

Any big sports-tour Jap bike with a fairing would fit the bill.

Jeez, I had the same dilemma in September of last year. Everything looked so dang good.

So I bought a Buell. Good luck.

schizuki 03-28-2006 10:03 AM

(OT-PS - Note the lack of "First post!" When you get it, act like you've been there before and will be there again. Word.)

gr8shandini 03-28-2006 10:07 AM

Have you tried some of the modern SPORT tourers (as opposed to BMW-style sport TOURERS)? The Triumph Sprint ST, Aprilia Futura, and the good ol' VFR are all handy enough to put up a good lap time and have plenty of comfort for the missus.

And if you're ready to shell out some serious cash, I just took a test ride on a BMW K1200S last week. Absolutely phenomenal, but pricey at over 17 grand.

dleclerc 03-28-2006 10:13 AM

I would suggest trying the K1200S and Buell Ullisys might suprise you.

antimatter 03-28-2006 10:14 AM

No bike with serious passenger hauling ability will be as fun on the track as a pure sport-bike. My advice would be to get a Yamaha FJR1300 for hauling and distance, then save up and get a used SV650 for the track. Or buy a ZX-10R and drive the car when the missus wants to go somewhere.

Fenton 03-28-2006 10:18 AM

I vote VFR. If you don't think there is enough "sport" in the VFR watch Reg Pridmore ride two up around the outside of "A & B" riders during his CLASS.

I forget where I read it years ago and who the journalist was talking about but it does point out the skill factor.

-"he can smoke you down racer road on a goldwing with a fidgety John Candy on back"

mscuddy 03-28-2006 10:27 AM

Posting to your own post is frowned upon here in the Mo arena. Some say however that a 3rd post to you own post erases the "over-posting" stigma entirely, and is good.

I got second post btw. Second posts have a whole different set of rules that space and time don't permit listing. Or posting.

addysdaddy 03-28-2006 10:33 AM

Checkout the Ducati MTS 1000s - I have it and simply love it! Check it out.

jvbruce 03-28-2006 10:49 AM

I have a 99 Triumph Sprint ST, and it does exactly what you describe. My wife and I often do rides of two to three hundred miles, and the bike has more than enough 'sport' to keep me satisfied when I ride alone. It's nice, too, that you can pick up a used one with low miles for under $5k.