Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #41
955tri
Registered Member

Default Re: Does such a bike exist??

You're absolutely right, the VFR isn't in the same league as the Sprint any more than the New York Yankees are in the same league as the Bad News Bears. Read the reviews, ride them both, then maybe you'll see why the VFR is untouchable in that particular segment...even while giving up 250cc to the Sprint. I like Triumphs (just look at my screen name) but unless you're just interested in comparing spec sheet, or just NEED to have a triple, the VFR is the bike to own
955tri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #42
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: Corbin'd R

I found that I could last about an hour on my stock XB12R saddle. I bought a Corbin from ASB last year, and it was everything I'd ever heard: pricey, late-arriving (Al at ASB split the difference on overnight shipping when the factory finally did ship it, he ROCKS!), ill fitting mounting brackets, and the best money I'd spent on an acessory.

Well, barring the 'S' pegs, that is. They're tough competition, though, since they cost about $25 at the dealer.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 PM   #43
Rekord
Founding Member

Default Re: 2

Thanks! You got me thinking now . I like the idea of a bike that I could pick-up after a crash and continue riding without too much fuss..and it is good to see that other people think about comfort too.
Rekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #44
eojmo
Founding Member

Sounds like you need at least two bikes to fulfill your cravings.No single motorcycle will cover all the areas of riding you desire,its almost an impossibility unless you have a complete set of interchangable parts for each riding mode that takes your fancy.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:08 AM   #45
jbilodeau
Founding Member

The VFR might be a good choice as others have said. I know I have been passed by Reg Pridmore when he was riding one. I know he can also turn some pretty good laps 2-up also.
jbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:13 AM   #46
jbilodeau
Founding Member

My Falco seems to do pretty good on the sporting end, beaten a few "faster" bikes around the track. Not to bad for touring but 300-400 miles a day is my limit.
jbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:15 AM   #47
Jpalek
Founding Member

Look into the Kawasaki Concours. For the price it's great. And has a great following.

Good luck, with your requirements be prepared to do some compromising.
Jpalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:37 AM   #48
stoney8888
Founding Member

I have to agree about the ZRX. There is an amazing amount of info for updating the suspenders and little tricks for the motor too on the ZRX owners assc. web page. Its a great do it all bike with a little work on the forks and new shocks.
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:36 AM   #49
Mike_L
Registered Member

<blockquote>"If you can't go fast on the above mentioned bikes then its problem with the rider, not the bike."</blockquote>

I agree that all of the above bikes can be ridden very quickly, but nothing will replace the fun of thrashing around a bike dedicated to the task, which seems to be what he's seeking.

'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:27 AM   #50
gr8shandini
Registered Member

I know the ducatisti love their bikes; they're very nice. But there's no reason to lie about the Triumph. From the "just the facts" section of the comparo of the '03 bikes on this very website:

DUCATI ST4s ABS $16,195

Seat height: 32 3/4"

Measured weight, full fuel load: 533 lb

Horsepower: 111.8 @ 8,850rpm / Torque 68.8LbFt @ 6,900rpm

Fuel mileage: 47 mpg

TRIUMPH SPRINT ST $11,199

Seat height: 32 1/4"

Measured weight, full fuel load: 550 lb

Horsepower: 111.5 @ 9,800rpm / Torque: 68.8LbFt @ 7,400rpm

Fuel mileage: 44 mpg

I'd say that the Trumpet has exactly the torque and top end of the Duc. Not to mention the fact that the 1050 ST engine is even stronger than the old mill. And for the record, not one of the reviewers complained about a soft suspension.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote