Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #31
saddlebag
Registered Member

Default Re: Does such a bike exist??

I've put well over 50k miles on Ducati ST series bikes, many of which were riding mountain roads at "just a smidge above the posted limits" two up. With a $50 set of bar risers and a Corbin seat, the bikes are all day comfy for both parties. It also has great luggage capacity, fuel range, and Sporttouring doesn't get any more sporty.

Triumph ST is also a good bike with an even smoother engine. But it's engine doesn't have the torque or top end of a 4 valve Duc and it's suspension is too soft to get too carried away on it.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2006, 01:21 PM   #32
supecoop
Founding Member

I've tried two bikes for just this combination. The Triumph Sprint ST (but not the latest one) and the Aprilia Falco. The Falco gives up a bit of the touring ability to the Sprint but is great fun as a sporty bike. It is definitely not a full-on sport bike though.
supecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #33
Crackerbat
Founding Member

Default ZRX1200

It's not the fastest thing on the track.. but gdi it's hot to look at, and fun on track days.
Crackerbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #34
NLJ
Founding Member

With a little suspension tuning, strip the bags of the fjr and sensible track riding wouldn't be unheard of, but obviously you're not going to run down any GSXR1000's with skilled riders. A combo of the two doesn't really exist, nor would it be easy to do. It's like pulling a stretch armstrong in two directions, as long as your pulling it'll never come together.
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #35
ironoxide
Registered Member

Yes, The Aprilia Futura. You can get a brand new one for well under MSRP. Check out The AF1 site and read what we all have to say about this very capable bike. MO has high regard for it also.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #36
laidbak
Founding Member

No one's saying it so I will, a Triumph Daytona 955i is exactly what your looking for followed a close second by the Triumph Sprint ST. A full sized powerful and supa handling sportbike that 2-ups better than any sportbike or the Sprint ST that is 65% sport 35% touring and as many suggest is the sport-sport tourer.

laidbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #37
tomk2
Founding Member

You need more sport than a CBR600? AND comfortable for a pillion?

Simple... you need two bikes
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #38
billhawley
Founding Member

Default 2 "fossil" choices to consider?

First: forget ego and having to have something new. Nobody currently makes what you seem to need. But they once did. Two "future Japanese classics" that come to mind are:

The Suzuki RF900R is exactly the bike you're describing (1994-1998.) With a few fairly minor mods, it can be a very capable and serious sport bike while retaining reasonable sport touring capability even two up. The styling still looks great IMHO. A big wide arse, but that's because of the big wide seat. Get a red or forest green one -- no "boy racer" graphics on those, so they're much prettier I think. If you want something very sporty but with shaft drive instead (80-100 lbs heavier though...) consider a GSX1100G. Your pillion will probably prefer it over the RF. Only sold here in 1991-1993 I believe. Nice "organic" shape to the bodywork that still looks utterly unique and interesting today. Think updated naked First Generation (Muth designed) Katana, not your last one.

Both bikes have very strong smooth engines -- the 1100 especially has gobs of torque even two up. Both will get lots of comments and compliments, have nice seats (bears repeating), accept tubeless radials, and unlike most any "modern" bikes, provide more room to stretch out on. Metal fuel tanks that actually hold fuel in them (and magnetic tank bags ON them), and feature easy/ cheap to repair carburetors and no catylitic converters. Either one is as reliable as a stone fence and will cheerfully run 100,000 plus miles with very reasonable and routine DIY maintenance. If you can find a "G" with the rare but lovely factory full fairing, it's even better as a tourer. Guys on BMWs will even think it's way cool.

Of course, the "G" with its tubular handlebars and dual down tubes, will accept any other handle (or highway) bars, and most any quick attach sport or fairing style windshields out there (or probably even the older frame mounted fairings like a Windjammer -- but you'll likely have to fabricate mounting brackets out of flat stock and a couple of good welds -- $10 maybe?) Don't laugh -- there's a reason people buy Gold Wings, but you obviously don't want that yet. Just consider this: An old 'Jammer is quite heavy, but holds as much gear as most modern hard or soft sportbike saddlebags, while providing wonderful weather protection, a cigarette lighter that can be used to actually light and enjoy one (even at 75 MPH without stopping), and will also accept a radio and speakers on its dashboard too. Passengers will smile more. Consider how boring it is on back. If she likes riding more, you'll take the bike farther, and to places you wouldn't otherwise even consider. God forbid it, but you can also throw such bikes down the road at 50 MPH and likely still pick them back up and ride it home or to a shop (or even just continue on.) Windjammers make for a great crash bar -- I've seen this happen -- once first hand. An FZ1 fairing will do none of that stuff. Frame sliders? Yeah, right. Most lightly built modern bikes have something snap off if they simply fall over in the parking lot -- usually rendering them unrideable and instantly shortening your vacation tour. I've seen this more than once too -- but not to anything I've owned. A set of emulators and progressively wound fork springs up front, and perhaps a new monoshock out back will have the RF or 1100 hanging with most anything out there in the modern litre sized sport touring segment. With or without the aforementioned massive fairing.

Both bikes were very poorly marketed by Suzuki, as most people just didn't grasp the concept of the "Gentlemens' Express" travel mode. People are starting to wise up to comfort and utility again. You are smarter than the average bear was in 1993 and now have a chance to spend that extra 7 - 13K on a better vacation or home improvements, vs on a brand new bike. Excellent examples of either of these machines can be found in the 3 - 5,000 thousand range. Week long trips of that same mileage range are now easily possible. Throw a sheep skin over either one's seat and have at it.
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #39
Fenton
Founding Member

I've got a 2004, funny it didn't even dawn on me. But then I have mis-placed the rear seat and pegs.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #40
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Well, I might beg to differ--I've ridden five or six hundred miles in a day, and rode with sport bike hotshots the next day on my 96 VFR. All that aside, however, I think that the true Sport/Tourers (with an emphasis on Sport), you've only got four choices. The aforementioned Sprint St, the VFR, the Ducati ST4, or the Aprilia Futura. They all have minor drawbacks (STs, I hear, can scorch your gonads on a hot day, the VFR could use a bit more displacement, the valve adjustment on the Ducati is pretty pricey, the Aprilia may be a bit cushier than the rest. I can tell you that, in general, these are, all around, the most versatile motorcycles on the planet, and one of them doesn't fill your bill, you probably do need 2 motorcycles. They don't get any better than those four for the real world, where you do a little bit of everything, and have to pay for your own maintenance.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote