Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #21
bollert
Registered Member

Default Re: Does such a bike exist??

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place. The Katana and VTR should have been pretty good based on your riding description. I don't think a VFR would be much different. On the other hand, the FJR, ST, etc. are huge and they are not backroad burners. Sounds like you won't be happy with one bike. Get a sweet Sport-Touring bike for the long rides, and get yourself any modern sportbike for riding with your buddies. Sportbikes lose over 30% of their MSRP value after 2 years, so any 750 could be bought in 5-6K range. That's the problem with modern sportbikes, they are racebikes with lights, which is the opposite of the mid-eighties sportbike formula.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #22
jimmyr
Registered Member

The FJ1200: the greatest bike in Christendom. I have a 1986 that's good for touring and I still can't ride it to it's limits. Just lovely.
jimmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #23
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Sprint ST's the one you want. VFR is a good ride, but no longer in the same league.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #24
maladg
Registered Member

I think you are completely boned but here I go anyway: The FJR is FANTASTIC, but really snug with 2 aboard...at least to me. ( I'll probably get ANOTHER screaming nutsack of an email from a certain FJR guy for daring to say this) If your sweetie is smallish to normal sized....maybe ya oughta try the FJR.

If I wuz you, I'd check out Warchilds FJR TECH site for background then link to the msgboard...

If you want to ride quickly while two up AND be very, very tourist comfy, quit screwing around and get an R12RT.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #25
lylesmith
Registered Member

I have an '01 Triumph Sprint ST with the full luggage treatement including a hard trunk. With all the bags my wife and I can tour on it. For occaisional canyon strafing it does fine with the RaceTech treatment up front. Not going to keep up with the really good riders but that can be me as much as the machine.

For track days and more dedicated canyon trips I have a '99 SV650 that is a whole lot easier to throw into the corners and you do not have to deal with British parts availability if something goes wrong.
lylesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #26
lylesmith
Registered Member

I have an '01 Triumph Sprint ST with the full luggage treatement including a hard trunk. With all the bags my wife and I can tour on it. For occaisional canyon strafing it does fine with the RaceTech treatment up front. Not going to keep up with the really good riders but that can be me as much as the machine.

For track days and more dedicated canyon trips I have a '99 SV650 that is a whole lot easier to throw into the corners and you do not have to deal with British parts availability if something goes wrong.
lylesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #27
12er
Founding Member

That electronic suspension and ABS is almost worth it though. Nothing like hitting the button a couple of times to change the suspension from one to two up. Yeah I know, a spanner is free...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #28
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default Re: R vs. S

Honestly, I'd say seating position for touring goes to the R. The canted forward position is helpful on long interstate runs to counter the wind and it allows you to lean on the tank bag without folding your elbows as far. The upright seating on the S is fun for blasting around town, but the wind blast on the interstate gets tiring. On long rides with my R I notice my butt get sore first, followed by my legs feeling stiff. I can fix the stiff legs by standing up or stretching them forward for a short period, but the seat is what keeps me squirming. The S doesn't necessarily fix either of these problems. On the S I get tired of the seat in about the same amount of time, and the stiff legs aren't delayed much longer. Of course, I get tired of the wind before either. The S does have lower pegs, but it also has a slightly lower seat so there isn't much additional legroom.

On the other hand, the ergonomics of either can be changed pretty easily. American Sportbike carries both higher bars for the R and lower bars for the S. I've ridden an S with the Crossroads clip-ons and I thought it was great. It allows a better feel of the front end than a stock S and is slightly more upright than a stock R. Also, it makes the naked S model look even more aggressive. You can also use the lower footpegs from an S on an R model for a little more legroom. Buell and Corbin both offer better seats for the S and R, but I haven't tried either myself. The only thing you can't do effectively is add good wind protection to the S. There are some options out there, but they all detract from the naked look.

I haven't done a ride as long as the one you suggested, but I have done 500+ mile days and did a ~1200 mile 3-day weekend to Daytona last year. The only thing that really bothers me on those trips is the seat, and I can squirm around enough to tolerate that for the ~500 mile days. If I were to set out on a series of 500+ mile days I'd be shopping for a better seat or at least some sort of gel pad, but other than that I'd be set to go. I thought the Rs ergos would be too radical when I first started looking at them, but I've discovered that will a well-packed tank bag I can settle into a nice spot and cruise on the interstate for a few hours without much trouble.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #29
Aussiebikerdave
Founding Member

You forgot to tell us how old you are! Why should this matter I can hear you thinking! Weeell, if you want input from others, we need the complete picture. I'm going to offer you two choices at entirely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Speaking from experience, as you get older you become strangly interested in comfort so previous 1000cc Japan Inc. riders might start finding themselves being inexplicably drawn to the BMW K1200S' of this world. On the other hand, when you get really really old, you might find something like the Triumph Rocket III suddenly has a certain appeal... who knows? Don't underestimate this Rocket... I own one and even though I am now closer to 60 than 50, this bike, well ridden, will more than hold it's own on an early sunday morning blast out in the hills. Track days, well, that's another matter but if track days are part of your overall motorcycling landscape, go buy a Daytona 675, purchase an AirHawk seat pad for the occasional pillion in a million, and live happily ever after! Davo
Aussiebikerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #30
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Reg does it.

Reg does it on his VFR with the camera set up.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote