Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
nbyers
Registered Member

Default 2006 Yamaha FZ-1

This bike looks great. I saw it in person at the Seattle IMC; was not expecting to be impressed but it was striking.

Also a shorter seat (is nice for vertically challenged people like me) and great riding position.

It's a little disappointing that Gabe's example was buzzy and snatchy. All those engineers Yamaha has, you'd think this bike would be smooth as glass. My R1 is and it's a three year old design.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ-1

Excellent Review, nice pictures...Yep I agree the bike has a nice look. Too bad about the throttle response and buzziness. Otherwise it would be a great choice for a do everything street bike.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
fl34
Founding Member

"She who must be obeyed" on occasion, must ride with me. Please factor in the passenger's ergos when you do these tests. I always worry they might be too comfortable!
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 AM   #4
IceWorm
Registered Member

Hey, I know why they gave it crappy off throttle response, and high speed buzzyness. All the long distance riders can focus on that instead of the lack of integrated luggage again. Amazing, all those fortyish riders that Yamaha brain picked when designing this bike, had no interest in carrying anything more than a wallet and spare summer gloves when they head off for the horizon. Oh, I know, the Yamaha engineers just love the way the sexy new FZ-1 looks with a beautiful set of lumpy Givis attached.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
kill_van_kull
Registered Member

Default Re: radial brakes

Gabe, are the brakes really radial mount calipers? The photos seem to indicate otherwise.
kill_van_kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
billhawley
Founding Member

Foam grips will probably cure the "tingles". But I wonder why the "old guys" they consulted didn't demand lowers for the fairing? There's a lot to be said for keeping the cold wind blast off your arthritic knees (and actively controlling hot air flow across the motor.) Give us color matched lowers with directionally controlled venting, and I can't imagine a better way to ride to "destination roads", and also have the right tool to use on 'em when you get there. I'd settle for throwing a set of soft bags on the back and sending any other stuff ahead via UPS to my destination (if longer than a few days stay.)

Begs the question: Why would anyone pay four large more for a top of the line Yammie 1300 with higher weight, less HP and only "very good for its size" handling? Hmmm... so that's why it doesn't have lowers and hard bags... don't want to cannibalize your own lineup.
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
SmokeU
Registered Member

I agree, where's the damned luggage?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
eisenfaust
Founding Member

Euope gets optional fairing lowers and optional factory panniers as well.

Blargh.

I wonder if those will show up in the US catalog.
eisenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
DMuns
Founding Member

I'm curious how this new FZ-1 compares to Kawi's Z750S on a bang-for-buck basis. Does the upscaled suspension and displacement justify $3000 extra? For an 80/20 (80% around town/20% twisty) machine, which is the better value?

Would MO consider doing a "general purpose class" comparison with power/weight ratio as only a minor factor in the evaluation? Perhaps 600cc-1000cc displacement range. FZ-1, FZ-6, Z750S, SV650S, etc.?

(one of those 40+y/o riders thinking of upgrading his ZR7)
DMuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #10
staff
Registered Member

In general, the OEMS don't provide passengers for the press intros. Most modern press launches involve a plane ticket, a hotel room, a presentation, a couple meals and a bike.

Things might have been a bit different in the "old" days, when might have received a "passenger" in addition to the items listed above.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote