Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ-1

Hmm. When I hear "saddlebags", I hear "sport-tourer." I always thought the mission statement of bikes like the FZ-1 is, "Sportbike that won't fold you into origami."

I think it's two distinct markets.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
pkbrown
Registered Member

check out the latest edition of Bike. Yamaha did make a body fairing and integrated luggage for the FZ1. They didn't say if that would be sold in the US though.
pkbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #13
runamok27
Registered Member

I actually own an '06 FZ1 and have put a good amount of miles on it already and have not noticed anything I would call "buzziness". The engine is extremely smooth throughout the rev range. Now the snatchy throttle is another thing. At first it was a problem for me (I came from a cruiser bike) but as I have put more miles on the bike and gotten used to the throttle it has gotten a lot better but it is a little abrupt if your not smooth with it.
runamok27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Actually, I don't know why anyone would want a bike without a windscreen, and something to keep the 'arthritic' knees warm would be nice, but below that point, I would just as soon see nothing but engine. I quit changing the oil on my VFR myself because it's so damn agravating to get all the stupid fasteners back in place. I always lose at least one, and there is always one that doesn't want to go back on right. Screw it, I got more money than time, so I let the dealer do it, but you really shouldn't have to take part of the body off to change the oil.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #15
nbyers
Registered Member

Default 2006 Yamaha FZ-1

BIKE magazine's article on this bike implies that the abrupt throttle will be cured on later production models.

OK, this is good, but how did it ever leave the factory this way in the first place?

Hard luggage and fairing lowers are available.....in Canada.

Sounds like a good reason to take a ride north....
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #16
BikerJC
Founding Member

I was looking at one at the local dealer, and while I am impressed with the improvements and the overall style, I have to say it: THAT EXHAUST IS HIDEOUS. It's a big plasticky-looking blob ruins the flow of the styling and makes the bike look cheap, as if it was made of bakelite. Even an R6 style underslung shorty would have looked much better, and it isn't exactly a handsome unit.

OK, rant over. I'm sure its a great bike despite the hunk o' PVC they glued to the right hand side.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

OK, I know you put lots of caveats in the article, but I still would buy the nekkid version over the faired one.

I wish the factory would just make the parts available in the states, even if it's special order from Japan, or Europe. I think I should just be able the get the parts through the dealer.

The unfaired bike is cool.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #18
pplassm
Founding Member

Wow. And I can't imagine needing a windscreen. Lots of diversity here.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:28 AM   #19
stoney8888
Founding Member

I love the look of the non faired. I've somehow made itthrough mant thousands of miles without a wind screen, and I am glad that I am still not too old to need one now.
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #20
bboule
Founding Member

Right.. they want you to buy the FJR.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote