Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-19-2001, 06:33 AM   #61
modette3
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Yamaha FZ-1

The writter/tester of the motorcycle should of rode a Bandit 1200S and a ZRX1100 for a few weeks before the trip to Spain. Then they would of at least been able to say nah or yah wether they thought the bike was good.

It is possible to compare bikes when they are not there for some sort of idea to be givent o the reader.

Also a FRench mag online has already tested the 143hp Fazer 1000 and they gave it okay reviews. Too bad they get stuck with the 100hp French Version.

Also it has to be pointed out that if any writter wrote a bad review Yamaha sure would not invite that person/mag back for future release rides.

I myself just paid in full for a Yamaha FZ1. My dealer seems to think it will be like an RC51 and the price will go up as soon as they get them, thats my reason to pay in full and get a receipt for it stating I get the first Blue one they get. At lest my dealer is honest to tell me what goes on, then again he knows I run the www.yamahafz1.com site so he better not screw me over...lol

Keep ontop of Fazer 1000 (FZ1) news at www.yamahafz1.com there is a discussion group and a chat board....also we have the latest links to reviews
modette3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2001, 06:50 AM   #62
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Default Re: www.yamahafz1.com

LOL, ok Fantom, I think your a little "biased" when it comes to the FZ-1! So when do you get your fizzer?? Enjoy!!

BJ Ondo

80 GS 1100E (Grandpa Bandit)
motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 07:23 AM   #63
baker
Founding Member

Below is my opinion on the FZ-1, I posted it before but no-one replied....

This Fazer 1000 is a totally pointless piece of sh*t machine! I cannot understand why anyone would buy one of these - they are just an ugly, heavy, over priced, bland sh*t-heaps. Fair enough if you a Yamaha fan then you might consider one but why not buy an R1? This thing will cost only slightly less than an R1 but has a crappy frame, weighs far more, offers no more wind protection and is sooooo ugly.....looks being the main reason anyone buys a muscle bike. If you are after a muscle bike buy a MonsterS4 or a Raptor1000, Mille Falco etc if you want a sports bike buy a GSXR1000 or a R1 or a Fireblade (929RR) - alternatively if you want something in-between that is ok at everything but excels in nothing then buy a Fazer1000. I know everybody will agree with me on this.....I only speak the truth and have no hidden agendas - unlike some......
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 08:02 AM   #64
stevegrab
Founding Member

So all motojournalists never check a thing about a bike before riding it? No safety check (lights, electrics, tires, etc), not even how much air pressure is in the tires? The suspension setting (is each bike customized for each test rider?)

I have to agree with the original poster, it seems it is more important for you guys to spend time doing all the hooligan antics (wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, etc.) for the cameras, than to actually check anything about the bike.

I borrowed a bike from my brother for a trip form LA to Monterery. I made a habit of checking things myself, even those things that he said he checked already.

And lastly, it was an R1 for the Real World from everything I've read. You guys just don't live in that real world. For everybody whining about the loss of power, or how much heavier it is, buy an R1, and make your own "Naked-R1". That is not what the FZ-1 was, otherwise they would have billed it as "A Naked-R1". Take the bike for what it was intended, instead of expecting a slightly modified R1.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 08:10 AM   #65
stevegrab
Founding Member

But can't you see, that is the thrust of the story MO published? "Yamaha said Real World R1", but it wasn't, it lost too much power, was too heavy, and handled poorly. Well what did they expect, an R1 without the plastic?
Old 02-19-2001, 08:14 AM   #66
stevegrab
Founding Member

Ok, I can understand that MO had limited time to test the bike. Anybody want to tell us how much of that limited time was spent riding, and how much was spent posing for pictures doing wheelies, burnouts, and all that hooligan stuff. (I don't care if you do it, but if time was so limited don't waste it doing that crap.)?

Anybody at MO want to answer that question? Why bother with pictures of that stuff? How many potential FZ-1 owners care how cool it looks doing wheelies, or burnouts? This is not a open class sport bike, or 600SS bike (whose average rider may be more interested/impressed by these antics).

I do appreciate the story, and a lot of what MO does. I just think that too many times you concentrate on the fluf, and not on the meat.
Old 02-19-2001, 09:00 AM   #67
minime
Founding Member

We went all the way to Spain and went for a road ride that was about 150 miles. There was no track time and not much of the riding was done on what you'd consider "great" roads, though the scenery was impressive.

Much of this time was spent meeting up with photographers, gas stops and various other activities that were coordinated by Yamaha. They want photos of their bikes in the magazines (and on the 'web) and so photos were a high priority.

When we get the bike in our hands here in the states and get to spend some quality time with a bike, you will then have all the info you need. And , yes, we will also do a comparo between the FZ-1 and other similar bikes.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 11:40 AM   #68
stevegrab
Founding Member

Ok, thank you for the explanatation. Sorry to have jumped to the wrong conclusion. I didn't realize that the manufacturers do these intros with such a rigid structure.

I hope all these comments are taken as more than just a bunch of whining. I think what they are saying is that this style of bike, should not be reviewed with the same criteria as an all out sport bike.

Old 02-19-2001, 12:11 PM   #69
H1Rabbit
Founding Member

Baker, I've read some thoughtful positive and negative comments about this article & this bike. The one considered opinion that I come away with is that you are an idiot.
H1Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 12:13 PM   #70
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

74 POUNDS!!! 74 POUNDS!!!!

What the bloody hell is going on here? 74 freaking pounds heavier than an R1?

Less compression for more streetability? Right.

Way to go, Yamaha. Freaking pathetic. Damnit, I WAS really excited about this machine. No more.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote