Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-17-2001, 05:24 AM   #31
YellowDuck
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Yamaha FZ-1

How can anyone express even mild disappointment in 141 bhp and 78 ft-lbs? Has the world gone mad?

Does this type of power really make a "standard" more enjoyable for the typical rider? We all need to give our heads a good shake.

YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2001, 05:40 AM   #32
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Review falls short

And I'm right there with you.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 05:41 AM   #33
minime
Founding Member

We'll get HackFu on that Monday. Cool!
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 05:46 AM   #34
Octos
Registered Member

Default Writers...

I agree with most people that the article is wishy-washy. I attribute that to the writer of the article. There's nothing wrong with the writing, but the staff at MO seems to lack a valiety of perspectives.

I'd love to see some reviews by a writer that has never been on a track or attended a racing school. Someone who's ridden a few years and is confident and in control, but who has also mellowed out and rides at a bit slower pace.

I feel that this sort of writer could offer a more real-world perspective on the performance of a real-world bike.
Octos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 06:07 AM   #35
SlowDude
Registered Member

Check the pictures man! There are at least 2 photos of the bike sitting on the centerstand in the article. Fuel injection would be nice though.

I am in love with this class of bike and I too can't wait for a shootout with the z-rex, fz-1, bandito, and maybe a speed triple! Comfortable for two, enough torque for two, sporty styling, able to commute, its perfect! I impatiently await!
SlowDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 06:09 AM   #36
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: Writers...

How are you really going to form a definitive opinion on a motorcycle if you don't test it over the full range of it's operation? If MO took your advice, IMHO, at best all you would get would be reviews stating that all these machines are competent and satisfy their design brief. At worst the review would be subjective opinions with no real basis in quantifiable facts.

No, I can't agree at all with you. Just because a rider spends some time at the race track doesn't mean they are incapable of judging a motorcycle on real roads. I mean, I'm sure minime has spent countless hours riding on the road. I'm sure you aren't saying that all that experience goes out the window since he spends time at the track as well. That just makes no sense.

I'd like MO to keep the reviews coming from riders with high skill levels who can take a machine to it's limits and give us real, quantifiable judgments on their qualities. Just as they are right now.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 06:10 AM   #37
DCH3HASHER
Founding Member

Oh, THAT center stand!

(Thanks.)
DCH3HASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 06:29 AM   #38
DataDan
Founding Member

Yeah, how come you didn't compare head-to-head with the competition? It was a press intro in Spain. So what? Carry-on bins these days are big enough to take a couple of extra bikes along.

And what's with this nuance crap? All road tests, first rides, and even first glimpses should be boiled down to one of two words: Sucks or Rules. You think I got time to read a thousand words about how this and that feature have both upsides and downsides? I want answers, not questions!
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 06:34 AM   #39
Octos
Registered Member

Default Re: Writers...

I guess it wasn't obvious that I meant a mix of perspectives. You're right in saying that the track riders offer a lot of valuable information by riding a machine to the limits.

But all that experience can also taint the review. Read through the archives and most of them have a race-replica bias. Sure you need a base line for comparison, but the bias shows in the writing, usually in the form of "The brakes were ok for this class, but they don't compare to the R1."

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds, but I'd like to see some input from people who more closely represent who will be riding the bike.

How about getting some riders who are a month or two aut of the MSF class to offer opinions on the beginner bike shootout? They will be riding bikes in this class the most and have the perspective of a newbie.

I have yet to see a new GoldWing review where a 50-60 year old guy loads the bike down and carries his wife on the back for a few thousand miles. That's what GoldWings do and that's the type of person who usually rides them.

It would at least make for a nice sidebar or add color to the articles.
Old 02-17-2001, 06:49 AM   #40
Octos
Registered Member

Default Before I get flamed

<ul>[*]I understand that this was a limited press showing of this particular bike and not a full review.[*]It would be impractical to send 2 people to cover the event.[/list]I just happened to choose this article to speak about the issue because it was an excellent example of the lack of perspective. I have hopefully phrased my critisism as constructively as possible.