Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #51
eisenfaust
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Open Superbike Shootout

Awesome review.

Any word on when the 600cc shootout will be taking place? I've seen the occasional GSX-R600 popping up in dealers, there's an R6 sitting in my driveway, and the local Triumph dealer has a 675 demo bike. ZX-6R and CBR600RR are easy.

Cant wait!
eisenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #52
Vee_Crunchy
Founding Member

The safe bet? I'd say it was a bit risky to pick the unchanged bike a winner. The new and most powerful ZX would've been the safest bet you could come up with
Vee_Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #53
cgarrison2k6
Founding Member

Yeah, that test where the 999 was crashed was the last I remember seeing where it was to be compared with the Japanese bikes.

The 749 suffers from a weight issue, as it's basically a 999 with smaller displacement.

I don't know if the 999 could keep up with the Japanese lap times, but with these 10,000 word articles, it would be nice to see the testers' opinions of the bike as a whole, since we all know that riding is about more than just lap times.

I agree, bring back the multi-bike shootouts with Ducati, MV, Aprillia, and whoever else represented.
cgarrison2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #54
Vlad
Registered Member

These bikes are real yawners to me. They simply don't matter as street bikes. There's no place on the street for them. So, to me, the only audience for the review is someone who plans to spend mucho time on the track, where acceleration above 120 mph does matter. How about skipping the review of these machines and dealing with bikes that belong on the street? Besides the review always comes to the same conclusion, the faster rider will always win, regardless of the mount. I know that on the showroom floor kids are always asking which one is faster. The real answer is "the one you're not riding."

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #55
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Words from the Wanker

If my words lacked conviction, then our votes certainly did not. All four of us voted almost exactly the same way, and one guy (Dale) is a life-long Kawi fan. If we had all liked the Kawi better, you can bet it would have won. Why should we favor Suzuki? They don't advertise with us, we don't get invited to their press intros and the other OEMs provide easier access to their press fleet.

We didn't say the Kawi was too sanitized or tamed. We just said the GSXR managed to keep more of its edge, plus it was more comfortable on long rides and seemed to "fit" our testers better. The Kawi is an outstanding bike, but it just wasn't good enough to beat the Suzuki; nothing was!

Here's MO's #1 rule for comparison tests: The testers pick the bike they would buy if it was their money. That's it. It doesn't matter who buys ads or has the most free shrimp at their intros. We didn't make the "safe bet"; we just reported what our testers found and chose as their favorites and not-so-favorites. I'll bet you would have voted the exact same way!

Thanks for reading and posting!

Gabe

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #56
Thig
Founding Member

I have been riding for 40 years, started when I was 9 and I have owned 16 bikes through the years. The meanest was a Vmax. I have not purchased a liter class sport bike because I do not trust my right wrist. If it will run 175, at some point I am going to have to try it and see. Even still, they keep calling my name and at some point I am going to have to answer.
Thig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #57
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Oh, Vlad...

Did you know that sales of standards--bikes that "belong on the streets"-- are less than 2% of total streetbike sales in the USA? If we ignored hardcore sportbikes, we would be ignoring about 45% of our potential readership. That would be dumb!

In any case, these actually make pretty good streetbikes, better than they do trackbikes. Most riders would be faster on a 600 on the track (see our GSXR1000 v R6 story from last year), so thei real advantage is the fun the big motor is on the street.

Now go impale somebody!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #58
davidhaner
Founding Member

I've got a used ninja250 for sale that my wife isn't riding anymore; she's moving up. Let me know if you're interested.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #59
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh, Vlad...

It is a sad statement that over 90% of motorcycle purchases have more to do with posing than practicality.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #60
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I can only speak for myself but it seems you are using your preference for the looks of the ZX-10R to judge it best, that's cool. I thought looks-wise the earlier version looked better, that's cool too.

These bikes are all so powerful and "Good" that if this is the type of bike you're looking for you won't go wrong picking one based on any criteria IMHO.

I voted the Suzuki No. 1 based on the overall package (including looks), your vote could be different and you'd be right!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote