Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #21
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: MO Open Superbike Shootout

Sounds great... I have always wondered how the Gixxer 750 could do against its big brother and other liter bikes from a best all around sportbike standpoing. Mladin said his favorite bike he raced, was the 750 he won last championship with. He said it had the right combo of power and agility...1000s can beat it but the 750 can be raced with a nice flowing style with higher corner speed versus the more a stop point of shoot riding with the liter bikes....

Can't wait for your 600 shootout Good work
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #22
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Incredible Shrinking open class

It's like what happened to the open class in MX. Did the open bikes get too powerfull, too hard to handle (unless your name was Chandler or Bailey)?

And is the 600 cc supersport in the same spot the 250cc MX bike was a few decades ago, ready to take the throne away?

And am I going to go out to the garage in a few minutes and split some cases?

Maybe...but first a grain beverage to steady the hands.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #23
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Not so fast pal. Defending MO

Hi that's cool. From a motorcycle magazine junkie point of view...IMHO MO does a great job when they publish reviews<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/05_Middleweight_Supersports/index.motml"> like this one last year. I realized that these guys have a lot of talent... I just wish they gave us more stuff...

To me when these guys bring their A game there is no site better.. Gabe, Pete, Sean, and Fonzie make a great core team...
Old 03-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #24
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Not so fast pal. Defending MO

I do miss johnnyb (Burns) though. Too bad he can't write MOs opnion page . Opinions about motorcyles only of course
Old 03-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #25
grandmasta-flash
Founding Member

You mean if I rode them? LOL
grandmasta-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #26
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Sorry for the confusion!

We should have stated more clearly in the story that it's a comparison test of 1000cc, four-cylinder motorcycles, motorcycles that are competitive in AMA Supersport racing.

The 675 may indeed be an awesome bike, but it would be badly outgunned by these guys and isn't even designed to compete with them, so even if we could have gotten a test bike in time, it would have elicited way more squeals of protest than notes of approval.

Anyway, if you don't think these bikes are interesting, you need to ride one! Very similar, yes, but boring? No way!

Thanks for reading MO!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #27
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Point Taken, Yes Sir...

Print magazines contain some very valuable real estate and are stingy with their word counts and column-inches. We here in the Internet can go on and on and on, with no penalties other than spending six hours combing through a story making final edits while getting high on Vanilla Sprite Slurpees.

However, you are right; it can be a Bad Thing, and it's easy for a journalist to be self-indulgent and prattle on for 10,000 words. It can be pretty tiring to read, I am sure, especially if you feel the writer doesn't say anything. However, I think that's why a lot of people subscribe to us; we provide the in-depth description and analysis you can't get in any print magazine in the USA.

When I wrote the story, I wanted a description of the test, descriptions of the four bikes; what made them different technically and style-wise from each other, how much they weighed, differences in chassis, motor, etc. Then I wanted a 1000-2000 word summary of each bike's performance on track and street, which is less than what we give a bike when we are testing it in a solo test. Finally, a summary would wrap things up.

Since this is a big deal for our readers, and I've always liked lots of detail in multi-bike tests, it was easy to go over 10k words. I figured with the test's breakdown into sections, it would be easy for readers to just focus on the bike they were interested in and then zoom down to the conclusion, which I think was pretty succinct.

Re-reading the conclusion, I think it's clear why we picked the GSXR:

"No other bike since the first-generation R1 has won a MO shootout two years in a row with practically no changes. The GSX-R was able to win against three other very competent challengers because it succeeds in so many areas. First, it's really, really fast. If you can't use all of 161 hp, you can't use 166, either, so the Kawasaki's five-horse advantage -- which would be a huge lead in a 600cc shootout -- isn't really that glaring. Second, it's comfortable in a way that encourages the rider to go faster, by dint of that instantly familiar feeling a few of us reported. Finally, the chassis is responsive and forgiving, friendly to the less-skilled among us while still keeping those with more ability amused.

You could say all those things about the Kawasaki, too. But what the Kawasaki lacks is that angry, untamable feel that the GSX-R has. The Ten has been tamed a bit too much, but the Suzuki still has enough edge and character to really stand out in this company. We've said it before, but it still makes sense: buying a motorcycle, especially one in this category, is pretty irrational. The GSX-R is practical, reliable and a good value, but it's also a wild-eyed maniac when you want it to be. If that's what you need, then a GSX-R should be in your future. "

The problem is that the bikes are so similar in so many ways. It comes down to how our testers voted, and you can read our comments down at the bottom of the story. I just summarized what they said.

I hope my response is helpful. We are very grateful you are a MO subscriber and honored and flattered you only subscribe to MO, although we don't require monogamy. Thanks very much!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #28
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

How about building a GSXR1000, R1, ZX10R or a CBR1000 up to the $18,000 level and testing it against the $18,000 Ducati? Sounds fair to me.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #29
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

OK, so the Ducati isn't "too expensive". But, fair is fair right? So build the R1, GSXR1000, ZX10 or CBR1000 to the same investment level as the Ducati and see what you've got. Maybe you're not so "extremely disappointed" anymore??
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Hear, hear!

I remember when I was barely old enough to ride a moto legally, I SOOO lusted after a whole slew of bikes that would have just tossed me on my arse because my opinion then was "I'll beat that beast into submission".

Thankfully, though 20-years older, I'm a bit wiser now. I have enough self-control (and finally, riding skill) to keep from wearing my moto of choice like a hat.

I've refrained from a liter-bike for years and years, thinking I wasn't "ready". I was right then, but I think it may finally be time to "ante up" soon.

-Scott
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote