Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Open Superbike Shootout

Add to that the '85 Kawi ZL900. Come on guys!!
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #12
Tigercub
Founding Member

Uh...maybe the "Jap Four Open Superbike Shootout"?

Anyway, I don't need any help wasting my day at the office. I can do just fine on my own, thank you very much!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Templewood
Founding Member

I'm extremely dissapointed in the fact there's no Ducati in this test. It was proven in the "Master Bike" test in Cycle World that the regular 999s can hang with the Japanese bikes in lap times, and set the 2nd fastest lap out of all bikes. I was very excited when I got the email that an open bike shootout was posted at Motorcycle.com, but was quickly dissapointed. I certainly don't want to hear that they're too expensive because I can't afford a Ferrari or GT40 but that doesn't keep me from buying a copy of Car & Driver to read a review of them.

Sorry if I seem pissed but I've been subscribing for three years and there always seems to be a bike missing from tests that should be there.
Templewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #14
staff
Registered Member

We like to do open in-lines, then Open Twins, then Best of the Best -- but maybe this year we'll expand BotB to Gixxer 1000 & 750, the winner of this year's middleweights and the winner of the twins shootout...

Shootouts are fun, but really, more excuses to go to the track are always needed!

--MO
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #15
Haru
Founding Member

you guys have a problem. inspite of all that writing, tons and tons of words, you failed to make me understand why the kawasaki is second and the Suzuki first.

don't get me wrong, I am not disputing the result.

but I read it trying to look for hard concrete material that would be relevant to me that would help me understand the decision and let me see which would be more to my taste, but I couldn't.

I see things like "bad boy attitude" and "got the looks", but thats all fluff if because while you may feel it, it doesn't tell me anything.

No doubt you guys felt the GSXR was the better bike and you may very well be right but you failed to give me give me the meat and potatoes on which to understand why you picked them as you did.

and I feel a little irked because of all the reading involved. I have often regretted that magazines limit word length to where the writers can't talk as in depth as I would like but you guys seem to have take internet publishing as a license to turn into motor mouths.

I suppose that your readers are looking for vicarious pleasures and for them sitting for an hour infront of an article reading every word is the next best thing to a 5 hour shag session with jessica simpson, which is perhaps why you go on and on and on and on.

Me, I just want the juiciest part of the steak. make me understand is substantial terms why you made your choices as you did, give me the information that would help me understand which bike would work best for me, and don't make me read The Brothers Karamazov to get it.

To be honest, I am beginning to get skeptical of this whole thing.

1. it seems that all these bikes have become so good that you guys aren't good enough word smiths to convey the solid differences between them. What you need to do is not tell us how they are better or worse but how different the expierence is of writing them. ANd describing expereinces so that people will expereince them vicariously requires a muse, a poetic touch, not a phd these sized text.

2. I also think that all these bikes have gone so far beyond my abilities and talents that your guys waxing eloquent about which is better and worse has become relevant to me only in the bench racing context.

sorry guys, you seem to have forgotten the first rule of writing. BREVITY is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes.

as have I in writing this complaint.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #16
ksquid
Banned

Excellent Review... Good thing I was off the clock at 4PM because it took me awhile to read, look at the great videos and pictures. Sean's video through traffic was impressive from a novice's point of view. Great writing. I agree with Pete's assessment of the Suzuki looks/styling. I like my bikes without racer boy graphics so I like the Ninja but I agree the Yamaha looks nice. You guys write the most entertaining and useful reviews on the web and in print, i.e. I am like a drug addict when it comes to MO. I really liked Sean's low down wrap up video, great summary...Glad I reupped my subscription... I am sure longride and Buz and the rest of the GPTB* are happy too who would they pick on if it wasn't me...Don't worry my wife will monitor my posts and meds

Thanks MO Great stuff

kpaul

*trademark appied for.

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #17
GHam
Registered Member

You go from an article about Harley with a shrinking pool of potential customers to an article about open class sportbikes where technology is creating a shrinking class of qualified riders and noone says a word about the future of the open class hmmm....
GHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #18
ksquid
Banned

Default Not so fast pal. Defending MO

Do you work for the magazine Motorcyclist? If yes I suggest you read some of your lame reviews lately. If not I suggest you subscribe to Motorcyclist, CycleWorld, Bike, Sportsrider, like I do and read Motorcyle Daily and other sites on the web. ..I like the fact that we received 4 different perspectives of same bikes and we got a good deal of technical explanation.... I would also go back and read last year's Supersport shootout. That to me was best review ever on MO much better than the same review in Motorcyclist.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #19
Haru
Founding Member

Default Re: Not so fast pal. Defending MO

I don't buy or subscribe to any other magazines now. and I was one of the earliest to subscribe to MO when the went subscription. I have never complained before and I intend to remain a subscriber for a long time

But very recently I've been getting bogged down in the ever increasing quantity of words and I finally snapped with this one for reasons I have given.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #20
bboule
Founding Member

LOL... the I-4 Arms race creates an ever smaller # of *qualified* riders but that has nothing to do with how many of these bikes sell.

Arguably for the kids on the street buying most of these bikes, the more outrageous and beyond their skill level the bike is, the more they desire it.

The number of riders that want bikes they are not qualified to be riding is not shrinking.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote