Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #41
caffine
Registered Member

Default Re: Strip'd and Oval'd -- 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14

Nice job guys!

I see Sean has the front wheel up at the drag strip but Gadsen is telling Gabe to "pin it". I can understand probable added time on the 1/4 with front wheel coming up. So how does one pin it while keeping the front end down AND traction going to get a lighter rider like Gabe down into the 9's. Is a heavier rider at an advantage on the drag strip? Or is it just clutch and throttle your way through?
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #42
ofreen
Registered Member

This is more like it. Consider me mollified.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:40 PM   #43
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Easily?

9.95>11.8
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #44
schizuki
Founding Member

Agreed. I'm actually worried it's a mental problem. No joke. If so, I hope he gets some help. He was the only motojournalist I actually enjoyed reading for his writing. It was a great month whenever I saw his byline in the Table of Contents. Now... it's just sad. The lack of punctuation, the gibberish... it's like watching a relative go through Alzheimer's.

Of course, it could just be laziness and affectation, which in a way is even sadder.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #45
cheapbastard
Founding Member

I'm considering this bike but I'm disappointed in the looks, The zx12 looks better. The motor might get me to give up the 13 large, although if the new Busa looks better I'll buy it, no hurry I can wait.
cheapbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

We can cut to the quick as to which bike is faster stock Busa to ZX-14:

Straight from Rickey Gladson

During a top secret test in Phoenix Arizona, with whether conditions, a beautiful 80 degrees with an adjusted altitude of 1800 ft.........a 2006 Hayabusa and a 2006 Kawasaki ZX14 were run head to head, both with 800 miles on them, both with stock gearing,stock pipes, stock height, stock tires(same air pressure),stock settings on chassis,same gas out of same jug(pump), and same rider(me)

alternating between both bikes after 4 runs a piece.

After 4 runs on the Hayabusa, a baseline ET of 9.92@ 141.55 (STOCK HEIGHT)

4 runs on the ZX14 netted a baseline of 9.77 at 145.89

after 6 sets of 4 runs a piece ,the best numbers looked like this

Hayabusa............. ZX

1.66.................... 1.66

4.31.................... 4.34

6.34.................... 6.27

114.44 mph.......... 117.10 mph

9.901 @ 142.00 9.755 @ 146.20 STOCK HEIGHT!!!!!!!

Pretty easy to say that the ZX-14 is going to be a faster bike stock than the Busa. How the ZX-14 will sell will depend on how strong the aftermarket responds to it. Nobody leaves these bikes stock for very long. The Busa is a killer platform to make a fast reliable all-motor bike, or turbo it up to 600 horsepower if you feel the need. The ZX-12 fell flat because it was a difficult platform to work with because of frame design to get big horsepower numbers with turbos and such. The aftermarket never really came to the 12 the way it did with the Busa. That's why the 12 is dead. It was a fantastic bike, but in this game it's the guy that ends up with the fastest bike that counts, rather than the guy that started with the fastest bike. I like that Kaw stepped it up a notch. Should be interesting.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 AM   #47
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: VFR ergos

Seems to me that ergos are in the eye, arm & buttski of the beholder. Mag guys have raved for years about the comfort of the VFR's. I found it most uncomfy without mods-your experience may (will) differ. And on and on.

One size never fits all. I've pretty much given up the hope the the MC industry will someday provide wide adjustibility of bars, pegs and seat.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:13 AM   #48
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: The Lamborghini of Motorcycles

The ZX-14, Hayabusa, et al. are useful mainly as "look what we can do" exercises for their manufacturers. As is the case with most exotic machinery, their top speed and even maximum acceleration will seldom if ever be used on the street, because there's just not enough room. So while guys are riding their ZX-14s on twisty roads at 2/10s, guys on 650Rs will be keeping up with them while wailing at 9/10s and probably having just as good a time, if not better.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:18 AM   #49
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: VFR ergos

here is a question ... some of the custom rearsets being marketed offer adjustability of sportbike footpegs so that they are higher and more rearward. do any of them offer adjustments that are lower and more forward?

bar risers are fairly easy to come by but i'm 6' 1", and most sportbikes have my legs bent like pretzels.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:45 AM   #50
SRMark
Founding Member

Glad to see the horsepower wars still alive and kicking. And this thing looks a bunch better than a 'Busa IMHO. Some Heli bars, screen, seat and bags and you got one nasty little sport-tourer. I might have to see this thing in person. I thought I had outgrown the need for speed but you really don't have to suffer much to be able to sample this bike's virtures. I guess you're never too old to lose your license.

Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 70s here in the East and I can actually ride to my annual Daytona 200 gathering. Does a day get any better than that? Enjoy the race.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote