Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #31
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL
Default Re: Strip'd and Oval'd -- 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14

Wow. This bike doesn't hit a lot of my personal hot buttons but it sure does look like you guys are having fun--love the vids.

On a side note, some of the posts lately have caused me to wonder whatever happened to this one motojournalist I used to really love reading. He was great because he stood out from other writers and wasn't afraid to go against the grain--I remember one column where he compared a chopper rider to a nazi on the LA freeways--it was good stuff. I don't know what he's been up to lately but I sure hope he isn't hanging around writing scathing posts hating on the people who are working at the craft he used to do so well. Because that would be sad, you know, for somebody who really looked up to him as a writer. If anybody hears from that guy tell him it's not cool to ramble on incoherently in a stream-of-conscious fashion (I mean he was good, but no HST) and put down others. That would be unbecoming. On second thought, don't tell him he probably already knows.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #32
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Easily?

Read about our 1999 test bike: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...9topspeed.html. We did a 9.95 1/4. Sure, there was a headwind and LACR is at 3500 feet, but still...that's a long way from 9.5.

The 99 'Bus "only" made 157 hp on our Dynojet Dyno. The 14 should make close to 170 and is probably a bit lighter. Plus the clutch is much better than a Busa's.

Methinks the Busa has been legendized into something much greater than what it is; a heavy, fast sportbike that has passed its prime.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #33
kawazuki
Founding Member

"Flagship model" my arse! How can it be the flagship if it isn't available in fscking Kawasaki Green!?!

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #34
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Like the 900 Ninja and ZX-11?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #35
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default VFR ergos

i sat on a ZX14 at the interntional bike show and there's no way it is as comfortable as a VFR. no way. not buying it.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: VFR ergos

Well, if you are willing to pay the same price for an 800cc 100hp motorcycle as a 1400cc 180hp motorcycle, who am I to argue?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #37
ValkBandit
Registered Member

actually, i'm not willing to buy either one. but i've ridden a VFR and sat on a ZX14, and i dispute the statement in the article that the two have similar ergos.

great review otherwise (as usual).

i could seem myself buying a ZX14 someday, but i'd spring for bar risers.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #38
Fenton
Founding Member

Maybe ape hangers and forward controls!?!
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #39
ksquid
Banned

Excellent Review....Too much bike for me but cool to see it in the hands of an expert rider like Sean. Gabe you did great. I am sure most of us, armchair racers, would never get below 11.0. Those videos were sure awesome. Good writing thanks MO. Getting me pumped up for spring
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #40
Haru
Founding Member

the Busa never did 9.5s dead stock but it didn't take much to get it or the 12 there. I never had the balls to do drag style launches on these bikes, but a friend of mine ran his '00 ZX-12R 9.52 at 150 at near sea level. This bike was piped, PC3 and strapped down. I expect a ZX-14 with the same rider, same mods and same elevation would be in low 9s. another guy on a Zx12 board ran his 12 with the same mods plus a 6" swingarm extension at 9.17.

These were guys who spent a lot more of their time drag racing their bikes and I have a feeling they would outdrag the typcal magazine test rider. I've seen timing slips for busas and ZX-12s in the 9.7 range for stock bikes but none of the media test numbers were that low, more in the 9.8 and 9.9 range.

drag racing takes a lot more balls and skills than I have.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote