Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default The End is Here: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

First post
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Tigercub
Founding Member

This is the last in a series of polls/surveys. Please note that this one is different from the previous.--MO

You always say that!!

I like the CB100. Unlike the Honda Cub (not Triumph) few were made, except the motor still shows up everywhere.

How about the 250 Ninja.

So where's the report. There aren't that many starter bikes!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

SV650

V-Twin user friendly "manageable power"

Buy used if you can. Buy a full-face helmet, good jacket, boots and goves. MSF Basic Course and some track time.

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

GS 500E - lots of used ones around, easy to ride and maintain bought mine, rose it for 2 years sold it for $500 less than I paid for it.

Riding gear should cost about as much as you would spend on gear when buying a new bike - the ground doesn't really care about what your bike cost when you slide over it.

Do the MSF course.......
steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
staff
Registered Member

No and yes. No, we've never written : "This is the last in a series of polls/surveys." What we have said is something like: "This is poll number two (or three)."

Yes, we have written: "Please note that this survey is different from the previous." This was to make readers aware that the poll had changed, especially in this instance since the text of the news post accompanying the poll/survey has remained the same from the beginning. We did this in the event that a reader who may have missed previous polls will be able to understand the purpose of the poll/survey.

Judging by your comments, which are out of context with the current survey, it would appear that you're a prime example of why we point out that the poll(s) is/was different from the previous.

With respect to where the report is, one would think it obvious that it isn't complete yet since we're still gathering data via reader participation in these surveys.

Thanks for participating.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
teknoman
Registered Member

Hayabusa!I swear my wife wanted that to be my first bike!She just thought it looked cool..Now she knows different![I hope!]
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
teknoman
Registered Member

Seriously .sv650,I was given a sv650s to ride so I learned the racer,s stance[I was 49 at the time]So for my money,that.s the way to go if you intend on being a sportsbike dude,or the 650,or the new kawi.ONE THING ,DON,T SKIMP ON PROTECTION!!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default The Best!

Unquestionably, the Miyagi Turbo.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
ramblerdrver
Registered Member

A first bike should be something used, in good condition, between roughly 200cc and 500cc. Such a bike will be quick enough to be fun but not so fast as to be scary. it'll cruise at 55-60mph. Light enough for one person to push around if needed and to pick up if dropped. Seems to me, motorcycling is an "aquired taste"....they look neat and it looks like fun seeing motorcyclist run down the road with wind in their hair, etc. But a first time rider may find it's not necessarily for him (oe her)...that 60mph wind blast in your face is not really pleasant, making the bike corner safely at speed can be intimadating, they can feel tippy at low speeds, etc. Best to start with somehing cheap and manageable. I've had several beginners bikes that I've enjoyed and/or still am enjoying...a 1981 Yamaha SR185, 1982 Yamaha XS400 and 1980 Yamaha SR500.
ramblerdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
cheapbastard
Founding Member

The first steet bike I actually bought was a used 1974 Yamaha RD 350, my buddy had been wheelying the living crap out of it. I have very fond memories of that bike, ring ding ding ding.....bwaaaaaaaa.
cheapbastard is offline   Reply With Quote