Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #31
SRMark
Founding Member

Default The End is Here: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

Needs to be ported and piped until it has a 500 RPM powerband. The end is now.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #32
normankv
Founding Member

I think any "beginner bike" must fulfill a couple of rolls/missions. First, of course, it must be easy to handle and operate. The bike shouldn't be too powerful (or the new rider wouldn't be able to control) but have enough get-up-and-go so that you are not embarrassed to ride it.

The size of the operator must also be taken into consideration. Beginner Bike for a guy 5'4", 150 lbs may be different from a similar bike for a 6'1", 225lbs. The bike still has to fit the rider.

While a Beginner Bike, it should be powerful enough to allow the rider with at least several years a good riding before the operator really feels the need to trade up.

That said:

For a smaller sized rider, I like the 250 Honda Nighthawk. Very old school ... it is a minimized version of the 750 Nighthawk (CB 750). Standard riding postion, decent amount of comfort. Very low maintenance ... virtually bulletproof.

For a larger rider, I like the Yamaha 650 V-Star. Shaft drive, manageble power that will still allow you to keep up in highway driving. Looks bigger than it is. Easy to learn on ... but capable enough so that you can ride the bike for several years --- or ride it forever and never trade it off. It is just that nice of a bike.
normankv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #33
marykath
Founding Member

Thanks for what to look for! Your list seems right to me. I'm wondering whether a scooter would make a good first choice. I've never been in the driver's seat on a bike.
marykath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:09 AM   #34
cota
Registered Member

Default Re: Mr. Allcaps wants to know:

You got the main point of starting on the hot rod for the "significant other crowd". I've seen a bunch of ladies take out big insurance on their significant others (or make them do it themselves) and tell them to have nut, buy the biggest fastest thing they can find. I know a couple became very eligible and sought after that way.
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #35
dingling
Founding Member

My first motorcycle was the Best Bike. A 1969 Honda CB750. That year they swept Daytona. I got rid of mine with over 100,000 miles and it NEVER had a problem. I took it to Canada on a road trip. Never leaked or burned oil. Super smooth and a disc brake up front. Also quite comfortable. And not bad two up.

Yes, old-school by todays standards, but what a joy 36 years ago!!! Mine was red with some gold striping on the tank. Still a good looking bike.

Thanks
dingling is offline   Reply With Quote