Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-14-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Round Three:Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

Jeez. You guys don't get it do you?

Speed Triple!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
BillyO
Registered Member

Yo can`t be serious;The BSA 650 Lightning w/right foot shift.1 up and three down pattern makes an excellent first bike.1967 vintage.

The Speed tripplecomes from the correct country,though.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
DC_Dave
Founding Member

Which beginner bike a rider should buy would depend, to a certain extent, on the personality and level of responsibility of the rider. I've known folks that could have ridden 600cc sportbikes as their first bikes-- but I'm not one of them.

If I had it to do all over again, and started riding today, I'd want to ride a used GS500E. Cheap as dirt to purchase, I'd be able to resell it for cost (if I ever wanted to), it's light, simple, free of plastic bodywork, and it's a 500cc twin. As a beginner, I like middleweight twins because they put out broad, tractable power. They don't need to be revved to give fairly lively acceleration.

Avoiding the big depreciation hit, especially when I drop it, will help keep some cash in my pocket for when I stepped up from the GS500E to the Hayabusa turbo...
Old 02-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
TazMo
Registered Member

Default Kawasaki Ninja 250

This is a great beginner bike for many reasons:[*] Inexpensive[*] Great Gas mileage[*] Good handling[*] When first learning, bike is very forgiving when ridden conservatively (below 6000 RPM)[*] As experience grows, bike is still fun since it can be ridden aggressively (above 6000 RPM)[*] Sporty but comfortable enough for touring[*] Maintenance is easy, so can learn maintenance while also learning to ride[*] Comparatively low seat height inspires confidence for shorter riders[*] Easy mods (i.e. tires and suspension) so that the bike can grow with your skills
TazMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
WARPrints
Founding Member

GS500E does make a great first streetbike. I put about 12,000 miles on one in one year. But I think a dual purpose bike that's actually ridden off and on road is the best way to go for a beginner. Learn bike control in the dirt, and little slips and slides on the road don't faze you. That's how I learned.
WARPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
notkewl
Registered Member

bikes made for lots of years, with lots of used examples make the best bikes. I currently ride a yzf 600 r and it hasnt changed since 1997. For insurance, repairs and learing how to wrench and ride your own bike, it makes sense to go with a long running, used model.
notkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
stefanistheman
Founding Member

IMHO, there is no one best first bike.

I think the point should be made that many of the world's top sports bike riders started out riding dirt bikes, and it was there they learned the skills that are necessary to stay alive on a sports bike.

Therefore, I believe people should be encouraged to ride dirt bikes first, before they think about buying a sports bike.

That said, for those buying a first road bike I would recommend any of the following three (used) bikes:

Honda CBR 250 R (Baby Blade)

Honda Spada

Kawasaki ER6

The reason for my recommendation of the smaller cc bikes is that learners WILL drop their bikes at least once, and when you're only doing 60kp/h on your CBR250R, it won't hurt as much as dropping an R1 at 160k/ph. (You might actually live.)

Also, small bikes are light, so when you forget to put your kickstand down and the bike falls on you, you won't break your leg.

stefanistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

I don't understand why there is this great resistance against riding dual sport or dirt bikes! Off-roading is the greatest training for street riding anywhere. Dual sport bike are fantastic.

You street-cred guys have got to get ove the image problem!!!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Fenton
Founding Member

The Code wheelie bar is a must though.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
rthaas
Founding Member

I'd recommend a used small displacement (approx. 250cc) enduro as a first bike. The new rider should spend a lot of time learning to ride it offroad so he can gain necessary skills and coordination with the controls before facing automobiles on the road.

I have friends whose first bikes were anywhere from 750 to 1450cc streetbikes. Big mistake, they still have minimal skills at controlling the bike in an emergency scenario and will probably never improve much as they have no way to practice them.