Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #31
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Round Three:Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

Thanks for that post. My duaghter may (or may not!) be getting a bike and the problems she has are the ones you mentioned - weight, seat height and I would say handlebar leverage. Now the real problem is gear. The Honda shop had one jacket cut for women and one type of pant. Where do you get and try on gear for women riders?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #32
03zx12r
Registered Member

How many times must we go through this? I'm not waisting my time for a third session. I gave my opinion and my personal preference, but someone didn't pay attention or copy/paste the info and put it where it needed to go. Your loss - not mine.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #33
sconley
Founding Member

I agree... And you forgot to mention the MZ 125 supermoto! I've been riding for 16 years, and for some reason I want one of these little scoots as a second bike!
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #34
iamz
Founding Member

"....and engines that simply aren't designed to operate efficiently on urban thruways"

Hmmmm. I've put over 15k on my DR650s odometer in just the last two years doing mainly urban/suburban and rural two lane paved roads. All of those miles were loads of fun and I averaged 45 to 55 mpg. Where exactly were the inefficiencies supposed to show up?
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #35
Tigercub
Founding Member

MO - Can't wait for this report. Please consider the following;

Handlebars with leverage - no clipons.

Bike weight - light

Seat Height - low

Upright seating position - controls easy to hand and foot.

Controls - ease of use.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #36
dswalkerfz6
Registered Member

I've been riding about a year and have spent a lot of time contemplating my first bike - the yamaha fz6. I feel entirely comfortable on it. I love going full throttle and have never dropped it. I recognize however that I am still new to riding, and in retrospect I realize that the skills I have learned on this bike could have been acquired on *any* bike. If I thought about it that way a year ago I would have started on a used 250 or 500.

With regards to dual sports, despite my lack of experience, I feel that they should be reserved for people who know they will be dirtbike riding. There's no contesting the benefits of riding in dirt, but I took the MSF class on a dual sport and learned a valueable lesson about traction on the street. Picture this: Oregon in February, cornering with a grin that could be seen 50 feet away, willingly allowing myself to be pushed faster and faster. The dual sport felt great until it slipped right out from under me, at which time it became abundantly clear why I needed shoes that covered my ankles. The instructors attributed it to the tires. The sentiment was nervous for a little while but the drop fixed the faulty cutoff switch, so after flawlessly passing the riding test I told them I'd be sending them a bill in the mail.

With that incident I can't say "I've never dropped a bike." Perhaps that is why I have had such luck on the fz6.
dswalkerfz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #37
Tadgh
Registered Member

i am with you man, the first bike i had was a 1989 yamaha dt 125 two stroke. that thing was a weapon...it got dropped a hundred times and still got back up and (kick) started no problem. you needed about 15000 rpm to get it off the line without stalling but it still had enough go to wheelie if you dumped the clutch...and enough stop to endo on the road even on knobblies . this led on to a motocross rm 250 and a brief flirtation with a kx500 which i still bear the scars of, and many others who said *hey give me a spin on that thing*...followed by oohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiittt. the next road bike was a gsxr 400 sp which was the business right up until i got infected with more power disease and sold it

Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #38
ROWDYBOY
Founding Member

I suggest the Triumph Bonneville as a great first bike. Great seat height, upright position, wide, easy control bars, plenty of power, easy to maintain, very user friendly feels a lot lighter than it really is, very maneuverable. I think it makes the case that for some it is all they will ever really need and for others is a great starting point to go into sport or cruiser.
ROWDYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #39
mikeodial
Founding Member

My wife started on a Honda NX250, on-road, off-road. Worked like a treat. Then moved up to a SV650 and she knows how to swerve and control the beast.
mikeodial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #40
jaek
Registered Member

Dual-sport bikes are the bomb, says the guy who has one of the king-daddys of the genre (R1150GS). The KLR650 and DR650 are both really tall and have comparatively ghetto suspension and brakes and such, but I have to say that the new KLX250 looks like it could be just the ticket.

Real suspension, real (if small) motor, real brakes, real frame, nice and light. Stick some Scorpions on that thing, and I think it'd be an outstanding learner bike. If only it were available in California...
jaek is offline   Reply With Quote