Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-14-2001, 06:08 AM   #41
Chester
Founding Member

Default HERES THE PROBLEM

Heres why he said the thing about FORGET THE COMFORT, its because some people look at the 600 class and see a group of race reps, and some people are trying to treat them more like standards, which is fine, go for an F4, TT, or 6R, they have all been comfortable for a long time. I personally want a race rep, and that means my head hanging over the front wheel.

And, you could say that it is nice to have a comfortable race rep, which yes, it is nice, F4 F4 F4, but I, as well as many others, like the hunched over feel of GSXRs and whatnot. An F4 feels too much like a Seca to me. Sitting on a GSXR feels like one is on an NSR500 or something. Different strokes for different folks(whatyutalkinboutwillis?), maybe we should have two tests, one for best race rep and one for best street bike.

Thats kindof what MO did with this test, good job to them. But maybe they should forget the comfort factor in the first part of the test since they are testing the true race reps, and put it in the second part with the 6R, TT and winner of this first part.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2001, 06:13 AM   #42
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 World Supersport Shootout

Sounds good - I can't wait!
sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 06:13 AM   #43
Chester
Founding Member

Default Re: childish

Not to beat a dead horse, but I am 27 and ride a GSXR600, logged 1700 miles in 5 days, no problems with back, wrists, whatever. Just stop every 100 miles and enjoy a taking a piss or drinking a coffee or something.

If a bike is too uncomfortable for most people, the mags say it, so dont buy it. But I, for one, like the torture bikes, and I dont want a fast bike that I sit up on like a Harley.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 07:26 AM   #44
stevegrab
Founding Member

Where did you read in the conclusio that the Honda was best? The conclusion text barely mentions it, except as a consolation prize. The text following that, is each riders opinion, (under the heading Rider Opinions). There each tester/rider tells which bike he liked best. Even re-reading that, I can't see where any of them really say they liked the the F4 best, other than Brent "Minime".

I really wish people would read the articles, and read them thoroughly before posting. Don't just let it load and scroll down through the pictures, reading headings and bold print.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 07:29 AM   #45
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: D207 tires are crap

I've never heard much bad about the D207 tires before this. Can the MO staff and readers give some specific things that are bad about them, and which of the other comparable tires they think are better.

I own a 2000 F4, it came stock with Michelin Pilot Sports. I thought those were ok, but somewhat pricey and less available, so I went with the critically acclaimed (to that point) Dunlop D207. Are these not good tires? Or is it just in light of newer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport, Pirelli Dragon, Bridgestone BT010) that they aren't as good.

What about the soon to come Dunlop D208 tires?
Old 02-14-2001, 07:33 AM   #46
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: D207 tires are crap

Forget to say, great test, thanks for breaking things down so well. Obviously as an F4 owner I was sad to see it finish behind the R6, but at least it was ahead of the new GSXR600. I know that both GSXR and R6 are better track bikes than the F4, no illusions there. I wonder what the end results would have been if the new F4i was left in the part 2 test, along with the ZX-6R and TT600 (I presume it would have, if not for the many changes for 2001).

I especially applaud MOs taking our comments, and making the results more street oriented. You still told us which was the best at the track, within the actual article and ratings. Plus we can just read what bike Roland likes, and assume that to be the best track bike (R6 closest 4-stroke bike to a 250GP racer, wow, that's hi praise).
Old 02-14-2001, 07:42 AM   #47
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, if you followed MO, and their poll about what we want the 600 review to be, you'd know that the majority of the readers wanted little or no track focus. Most of us won't ever get to a track, or if so we go a couple times a year. So based on that, MO rated the bikes more based on their overall ability, than just purely which is the fastest on the track.

That being said, any two people's impression of a bike are going to be different. You may think that what they said is wrong, but it is still their opinion, just as what you say is yours.

I myself am surprised that the R6 was rated higher than the F4i, since last year the R6 finished behing the ZX-6R and F4 in overall ability, when taking street riding into account.

Whatever, all 4 of these bikes are so close it doesn't really matter a lot on the performance, unless you're going to race it.

I think your comments about which bike looks best is a good indicator of what you look for. Personally what a bike looks like is not as important as other factors (price, performance, comfort). Sure, that's why I ride the ugly as hell (in some opinions) 2000 F4.
Old 02-14-2001, 08:10 AM   #48
Countersteer
Founding Member

I think for overall riding, the F4i is better than the two other 600s you reviewed. Otherwise, nice article.
Countersteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 08:12 AM   #49
Stoofplaat
Founding Member

Hey, Stevegrab - chill!!

There was definately an error in the original article where the Yamaha was subsituted for the Honda in the conclusion. I also found it strange when I read the article this morning, but when I read it again just now, the error was fixed.
Stoofplaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 08:27 AM   #50
silkyman
Founding Member

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with everything yoy say. I carried out painstaking research - read about 15 online tests, and about 15 magazine reviews (british), and they all reckoned the Suzuki is awesome (UK mags all say the R6 front tucks real easy).

I've had my 2001 GSXR for several weeks now, and i did get some hip cramp 1 miles down the road on the 1st ride, but since then comfort is fine for 100+ miles between rests.

The motor is unbelievable silky smooth, sounds addictively awesome and has stacks of midrange compared to my 2000 F4. The transmission, likewise is silky smooth, and clutchless upshifts are oh so easy.

The suspension is firm, but plush (better than my RS250).

The bike handles so precisely its amazing (apart from very slight drunken staggering at low speeds with the damper).

The brakes are excellent, and the awesome Corsa Evo S tyres give amazing feedback (could the D207s be a factor in its low placing in the test?).

The bike has stopped working however and is being repaired currently (alarm circuit board problem).

I am going to the south of France in a few weeks, and don't expect any issues with comfort compared with a similar trip on the F4 last year.

The GSXR rules for what its meant to be - A sports bike.
silkyman is offline   Reply With Quote