Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-26-2001, 07:12 AM   #111
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati 748 with 600

The 748 is in the World Supersport Shootout (that's the name, not 600cc Shootout) because in World Supersport racing (a support class for World Superbike) the Ducati 748 (a twin cylinder machine) is allowed to race against the 600cc four cylinder engines (in much the same way that the Duc 888/916/996 twins have been allowed to race alongside the 750cc fours).

This shouldn't really be that new, as some other magazines have included the 748 in the Supersport (usually 600cc) shootouts.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2001, 06:33 PM   #112
TheBronze
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati 748 with 600

Well, the link on the front page says "600 Shootout", and from the story introduction --- "It was a sad day, for sure, but one prompted by our readers when you told us to quit ditzing around on the racetrack and make our 600cc test all about real-world riding instead of track performance like we often do."--

Straight from the horses mouth.

Not withstanding that, I know the duc is allowed to race with the 600's. Problem is, this comparo isn't about "race" bikes. It is about street bikes that the average joe can go out and buy. I really don't think the 748 fits that category. Additionally, the duc is not competetive in many ways:

Way uncomfortable unless you are racing and don't care. The seat and posture makes the GXR 600 seem comfy. I tried all of the Japanese of the 600's and the 748 ("Ducati, wow! Agh, like sitting on a 2x4!") before deciding on the R6. Most comfortable for my 6'1")

Way over priced (1 748 would almost buy 2 600's)

Totally underpowered. Especially when you consider the displacement, twin or not.

The only way to get this bike anywhere near the HP/torque range of any of these 600's is to spend tons more money on its already inflated "Italian" price tag. No thanks. You could spend the same money on any of the 600's and come out way ahead. And even have money left over to buy a decent paint job, something NONE of the Japanese 600's have, despite their awesome performance.

Not trying to rabble rouse, just trying to make a point.
TheBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 06:36 AM   #113
Z1B
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 World Supersport Shootout

When will Pt 2 appear? I've been in this country since 1978 and am about to buy my first machine, a 600. Narrowed it to TT600, R6 or the 6R all to be tested in Pt 2. I'm used to Big K Z1B with rubber frame, plastic tires or tyres and no brakes. Last year on IoM I did get to ride the 400 ninja and a 916 but only for a few miles, the excuse being that any longer and when I returned to the Z1 I'd be decorating the straw bales at the first corner.
Z1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 06:04 PM   #114
dragonfire2010
Founding Member

Default Re: D207 tires are crap

I don't know if I am the only one to buy an F4i, but all the bikes I have seen in Maryland and Penn, including mine, have the D207's on them. Does anyone know if honda made they change at the last minute, or should I be cussing out my dealer.
dragonfire2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 05:42 AM   #115
Lestat
Founding Member

Default RE: So Srew YOU

Why is someone who may be a calm, unaggressive rider a "poser" or "wannabe" in your opinion? I don't think you wrote what you really wanted to because it makes no sense whatsoever. You sound really uptight Donster
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 05:46 AM   #116
Lestat
Founding Member

I have always thought the 207's really suck. I thought I was crazy with all this praise I kept hearing about them. Nice to hear It's not just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2001, 05:52 AM   #117
Lestat
Founding Member

In my case I am talking about normal street riding and the 207's have 0 handling and 0 traction, bloody frightening tire. I couldn't imagine actually pushing these tires.
Old 03-08-2001, 09:55 PM   #118
blip
Founding Member

The D207GPs are pretty good, dated and not as good as Rennsports or Pilots, but a good tire.

We're talking about the street version of the D207. It's horrid.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 10:24 PM   #119
cbrf4pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 World Supersport Shootout

Hey the cbr in 99 and 2000 made more power and torque on the same dyno than the f4i, hmmmm? Is that why the 2000 dyno charts are not there now? Well I have a 2k f4 and it runs with my friends ZX-9 any day on the straights and turns like a dream. I ve ridden other open class and 600 class bikes also. I made the right decision, silver and red beautiful!!

cbrf4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 11:33 PM   #120
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default RE: So Srew YOU

Hey, I can almost call myself an unaggressive rider. I don't agree that anyone saying he/she was never tempted to ride hard is a poser - I met lot of people that just don't like the hard ride - 45 year old guys, riding superheavy sporttourers and cruisers, with wives and kids, they don't feel like it. But - here I emphasize the word NEVER - I don't believe there was any sport bike rider that didn't ride hard one day. When I ride to commute, and carry my girlfriend, I am as careful and unaggressive as I can be, though sometimes I just feel a sudden urge to twist the throttle open and lean the hell out of my bike and myself. Riding hard or racing is not a bad thing when you know when and how to do it. In my country there is no racetrack and a very hostile attitude to motorcyclists - so we roadrace Saturday mornings when nobody's on the road except us. And yes, since I got a good powerful R750 and learned how to powerwheelie, I like to do that on occasion, but it doesn't mean I am going to run a wheelie while lanesplitting in the middle of the town. And - BTW - honestly, answer me - assuming you ride more than 1000km a year, you really like it and your bike isn't a cruiser - didn't you EVER in your lifetime tried to push one of your bike's limits ?
Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote