Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-16-2001, 11:45 AM   #101
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: D207 tires are crap

I don't think most people would notice a soft-carcass tire unless they changed tires on their own bike and rode back-to-back.

The problem is in any situation where a lot of traction and control are needed, like panic braking. These tires are dangerous, and have almost spit MO testers many times -- Calvin is convinced he wouldn't have low-sided the TLR if he'd been on a different tire.

I'd recommend that anyone with D207s change them out as early as possible to a different/better brand.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2001, 11:50 AM   #102
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 World Supersport Shootout

If rain isn't a concern, see the tire sidebar to the 600 test and get yourself a pair of the Metzeler Rennsports, I have never ridden any street tire that stuck nearly as well, at full lean, they're as good as slicks, in fact, better than most.

The seem to wear little, too, so they should last a decent amount of miles, especially if most of those miles are spent leaned _way_ over
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 11:37 AM   #103
sv650_rider
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 World Supersport Shootout tire questions

when you replaced the stock tires with the metzler rennsports, were the metzlers the same size as the stock tires? after visiting metzlers website, i couldn't find rennsports in a 120/60 front. did you run 120/70s on the r6 and the other bikes with a 120/60 front? the only reason i ask, is that i've been looking for DOT race tires for my '01 R6 and if i want to run stock sizes, my choices are pretty limited.
sv650_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 11:23 PM   #104
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Hey MO, thanks for helping shed some light on which 600 is the best street bike. My question is this. Where are the quarter mile times? Last year's 600 shootout had a page with this info. Did I miss it somewhere? (very possible as I tend to skim through articles trying to find the info I wanna know before reading the entire thing first) Other motorcycle mags (I won't name names give us 40-60 and 60-80 acceleration times. As a closet drag queen and rat racer, this is vital info to me. Both as a potential buyer and embarassment avoider (I only pick fights I can probably win What do ya say? Can we please get this info in the future? Pretty please? (eyelashes blinking) Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to more excellent reporting in the future! (shameless kiss a** statement)
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 02:41 AM   #105
01redr6
Founding Member

Related to that, several racers have told me that a 120/70 front on an R6 will expand at high speed and f*ck up the stock front fender. Blip, did you notice this? I'd like to try the Rennsports but if it costs me a new fender also it might not be worth it.
01redr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 08:16 AM   #106
sv650_rider
Founding Member

not only will it rub away at the front fender (damaging it pretty badly), but it will also spray molten rubber all over your radiator. from what i know, to run a 120/70 tire, you would have to a) pull the fork legs up in the triple clamps (so as to keep the geometry of the bike the same) and b) raise the stock fender, which would require drilling and filling of the holes. or possibly c) replace the stock fender with an aftermarket race one (sharkskinz, airtech etc) which would be tall enough to accomodate the taller tire. i've been looking into c but i have not gotten a definitive answer. b would not be a great option for a street bike, as it wouldn't be that strong, and it'd be pretty ugly. c seems like a better option, supposing that you can find a fender that would work, and then get it painted.
sv650_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 05:55 PM   #107
TheBronze
Founding Member

Default Ducati 748 with 600

Ok, I know the 748 is a cool bike. I think they look great, sound great (really great), and everybody who rides em says they handle great. Thats fine. But if this is a 600cc SuperSport shoot out what the hell is a 748 doing in it? yeah yeah I know. It sucks so bad as a 750 that it has to be placed with the 600's. Well, that is crap. Stick it with the open class comparo. Or stick it in the not so track oriented class with the ZX 6 (whatever) and the SV650. No, I take that back. This bike does not belong any where near the 600cc class shootout. Leave it with the open class and let Ducati figure it out. The time for being nice to that under powered duc is over. The GXXR 750's pump 125hp at the wheel. That is 40 more than the duc. And for less money too. The 748 is obviously not competetive in the open class and needs a major re-work.

And as for the R-6 being the winner...I own an 01 and I love it. But I have to agree with some of the other posts. You say the F4i is the best all around street bike and then give the crown to the R6?!?! You suck for that.

Wet weights would have been nice too.

Enough flame. Keep trying and we will keep reading.

Oh yeah, fix your board too. I am logged in and it is showing me as a squid.
TheBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 08:06 PM   #108
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: D207 tires are crap

Are you guys using regular street tires? Or are you using D207GP (and then Michelin Pilot Race [not sport] and the only Metzeler Rennsports currently available [also race tires]).

I am thinking if you are talking about the DOT race tires, IÂ’ll ignore everything you said. Because I donÂ’t use race tires on the street (I actually have to ride on real roads, freeways, and the like to get to a decent twisty road). Either way, I think your issue with the D207 tires is when they are pushed to their absolute limit. Which shouldnÂ’t be done on the street.

Thanks again for all the information. You guys are still doing a great job (despite all the rumors of going subscription based).

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 11:33 AM   #109
trontech
Founding Member

Default Re: BAH I say, Roland should NOT change a thing

first of all, MO rules!!!. Secondly, loved the gastro- intestinal analogies. you guys are very informative for everybody from the experienced riders to the rookies like me.the honda is the one im getting, cool ergos,no choke lever,FI!!!(embrace technology people!!!!) keep up the good work!

(toilet flushing)

trontech from Pa
trontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 07:10 AM   #110
stevegrab
Founding Member

They couldn't get to the dragstrip because of bad weather. After delaying the story several weeks, and hundreds of complaints from the readers (since they had promised the story weeks ago), they posted it without that info. They said they would do the dragstrip stuff at some time, and post that additional info.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote