Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-15-2001, 12:32 PM   #91
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 World Supersport Shootout

Sorry about that, I was testing something. When I clicked preview, it no longer had my user name, and said that I was anonymous squid, so I wanted to see if posts that way. (Feel free to delete these two posts.)
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2001, 12:39 PM   #92
silkyman
Founding Member

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've already got the matching colourset Baglux tank harness & bag - a great all round system. As i've read in a few mags, the rear stickers look a bit prone to rubbing , and the tail is angular which might make stability of a tailpak a bit dubious.
silkyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 04:39 PM   #93
badger
Founding Member

If you can afford track day, please go ahead and enjoy it. The majority of riders will never get on a track and would like to see some testing on the open roads where we ride.

There are a lot of reasons why so few riders going to track day:

1) There are so few tracks (I live in Ohio and the only track with open track days, about 8 times per year, is Nelson Ledges).

2) Most of us do not have the $300 for the requires class, $800 for the requires leathers, $150 for the back protector, good track boots are another $250 and up, and then there is the fee for track time.

3) Most of us only have one bike and we want to keep. There is something about a track that makes me want to push for that limit and sooner or later you will find it. When that happens, it would be nice to have another bike.

There is a solution to these minor problems. We could all move to California, go to work for a motorcycle magazine, pick up our loaner bikes (make mine a Yamaha R6) and head over to the Willows, with the rest of the motor cycle writers, and have a good old time.

badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 03:34 AM   #94
Donster
Founding Member

Default RE: So Srew YOU

Anybody who rides and claims to never have been tempted to ride like like mad Is either :

1) A lieing B%&!*rd - B%^&H

2) A Poser - wannabe

3) Just to ignorant to realize that motorcycles- ANY MOTORCYCLE - was built to enjoy , let loose , cruise, get laid, .....

WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE, SO F%$^& UPTIGHT ABOUT WHEELIES AND A COUPLE OF SARCASTIC INSULTS FROM MO. Let them be and just enjoy the site for what it is, a PLAYGROUND for real motorcyclists.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 03:42 AM   #95
Donster
Founding Member

Default re: lighten up

those who were offended probably already have "lightened" up a few times, when they realized that they should be riding a moped because they do not have the brain to learn how to ride properly.... i.e. riding courses
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 05:34 AM   #96
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Question about your dyno tests. You mentioned that the Yamaha's ram-air system works better than the Honda's. I believe you use the Dyno-jet rear wheel dynamometer. Can you put a big fan in front of the bikes during dyno tests to blow a 100 m.p.h. wind on them to see how much power the bikes gain at speed? It would be interesting to know.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 06:35 AM   #97
Tommy
Founding Member

Just a quick question... Plummer doesn't like the D207's. I read the feedback string and it sounds like he's not alone. I have to buy some new rubber this spring. What do you guys recommend for a good performance street tire? I'm not that concerned about tire life and want something fairly sticky. I seldom ride in the rain, so it's okay if it's a little slick in the wet. Any input would be appreciated. Also, I'm 6'2" and pretty comfortable on my F4, but I'm looking at picking up a 2001 R6. I rode an R1 last fall and my hands got pretty sore. Is the R6 going to work for taller people?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 08:09 AM   #98
01redr6
Founding Member

I'm 6'3" and I find the R6 more comfortable than the R1. (had a '99 R1, now have an '01 R6) Higher clip-ons and narrower tank being the biggest differences.

Tires? I prefer Bridgestone BT56SS. Michelin Pilot Sports are very good also.
01redr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 09:46 AM   #99
jhatfi
Founding Member

Default GSXR600 vibration???

I bought my 01' GSXR600 last November and have logged over 2000 break in miles on it before I tore it down to begin race prep. I never had any issues with vibration while thrashing it up to 150 mph or repeated occasions. Never!

I've owned several 600 class bikes including a 98' 6R which felt only mildly more comfortable. I stand 5'10" and 185 lbs ans my only complaint about the GSXR for street riding is that it is a little long of a reach to the bars thus cramping up my neck a bit after 2 plus hour rides. The rego's make perfect sense on the track and will require little work to find the perfect setup. The heavy weighted front end bias is excellent for encouraging front end feel and corner speeds. Something most the MO staff must not know anything about.

I've raced the R6 before and it is an awesome bike, with great turn in and acceleration, but it is flighty and is less forgiving than the GSXR. I know that this comparo is more street oriented in which case, the Honda or Kawasaki should win. The R6 and GSXR are to track focused to be 1000 mile trip bikes while the Kawi and Honda offer most the same goods, but with civility as well.
jhatfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 12:42 PM   #100
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: D207 tires are crap

41 psi is A LOT! They're usually recommended that high becuase they're planning for max load, that is, you and a passenger.

In the case of the D207 street tire, there's not much you can do, they just don't have a lot of traction. If you're an agressive street rider, get some Michelin Pilot Sports on the new Pirelli Dragon or Metzeler Rennsports. Word is there's a Rennsport for the street coming with more rain grooves -- the race version we use is a full slick on the outer two inches, which gives awesome traction, and they're probably not too bad in the rain, as you never lean that far.

blip is offline   Reply With Quote