Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
FrankS1
Founding Member

Default Re: 2006 Honda CBR1000RR

So, when do the posted links come alive?

Will they say something other than the predictable:

"Smoothest, best all around liter bike, not as quick as a GSXR1000."

At least if the picture is accurate, we won't hear about Big Red.

Oh yes for the kiddies, you can still claim "first post", as far as I'm concerned..
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Is this a new trend? Naked bikes adding half fairings and the fully faired ones start abbreviating the fairings to show off the enginework? Maybe before long they'll all look alike!

Old 02-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
red-silver
Registered Member

Default A lot has changed....

I'm an old fart now, and I don't ride bikes like this anymore...

Your comments however have a familiar ring from my own riding/racing days of late 60's, early 70's.

Yes, Yes I know that tires, engines, and suspension are not even from the same universe that I grew up in -but: We set up our race bikes light, and twitchy, because when you were in the zone, you could get in and out, up, down, and around with much more confidence, precision, & safety - once you were really at speed, bumping shoulders and rattling each others fairings.

It seems funny now, but if you had been on nice road trip on something like an R100 BMW, and then jumped on your RD or TZ they could actually seem hard to keep in a straight line.

But a little track time, and actual race inputs, all that twitchiness seemed to disappear. Hard throttle, hard brake, and your brain rewired for speed, you could place your bike where you wanted it, when you wanted it there.

I quite sure you are describing the same phenomenon. Give me the nervous steed every time in an agressive situation. It feels, less safe, but since it will do what's really asked of it - it's really more safe! When your riding skill catches up to it, your confidence level comes with it!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
red-silver
Registered Member

Default And another thing...

Yes Sean it probably is just you...

The solution go spend enough track time that your butt pucker starts to relax, and you begin to have fun....

As for me.... I'd love to ride something safe & friendly like that Ducati Paul Smart Replica!

Cheers!

PS - Someday I'll post the true story of passing Paul Smart at Vacaville raceway ( Paul was prototype Kawasaki Z1 mounted), and then landing on my head!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: And another thing...

LOL I'm sorry if I sound arrogant (I guess I am arrogant when you get right down to it) but you must be new around here. Track time and butt puckering weren't my issue. My issue was with recomending a bike like this for "average" riders.

Maximum Respect,

-Sean
Old 02-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
Aero_Mongoose
Founding Member

I would liken the difference between Sean's review and those offered by other testers to the difference between a test pilot and a fighter pilot: they are both highly skilled, but the test pilot is looking to evaluate an aircraft from perspectives other than his own. Instead of just asking "is it good enough for me," they also ask "is it good enough for a rookie under the most demanding conditions," and everything in between. I think this is a very important skill for any tester to have and is one of the things I value most at this site.

The honesty that this approach requires was key in diverting my search for a second bike (first purchase) this past year from the 'relaxed sportbike' that I thought I wanted to the 'sporty standard' that fits my needs and skills much better.

Keep up the good work Mr. Alexander... some of us newbies are listening.
Aero_Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Tough Love

Excellent Review. Hey I admire you for telling it like it is...Don't think kpaulie will be buying this CBR. Wonder when the backlash will hit the sport bike market i.e. folks will want more street worthy, comfortable, more stable sport bikes. Doubt it... its young man's (squid) market huh? Looked at the new ZX-10 at the shop the other day didn't like my sight line to the dash i.e. it was cut-off by the top of the windscreen. 636 more my thing but the dash sucks. IÂ’ll end up with a VFRÂ… someday.

Excellent job Sean. I don't think Honda will mind the review. This bike is meant to beat Mladin. The scarier it is the better.

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellent Point...Sean did a great job with the test pilot thing
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
drthompson65
Founding Member

Still, no slipper clutch! I don't care what they say today's bikes are come standard with a slipper clutch and a steering stabilizer. PERIOD. The ZX10R looks like the complete package this year.. Next is suspension with high/low compression dampning. So far only the R6 comes close to that.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
DonM
Founding Member

Sean you must have waited a long time before posting because I got this months CW same time as your review. They euphemistically called the changes "decidedly more spirited" and the rest of the article seems written from tech lecture notes.

I think I write for most of the MOrons when I say we appreciated your verbose explanation over their terseness. What remains to be read about is whether this change in the Honda "character" will be promoted throughout the Honda line. i.e. a change to lighter, higher performing, but more "unforgiving", motorcycles.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote