Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2006 Honda CBR1000RR (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3313-2006-honda-cbr1000rr.html)

OhioSteve 02-12-2006 02:45 AM

Re: 2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Just imagine the insurance bill for a 1k hyperbike.

longride 02-12-2006 03:14 AM

This seems like a nice enough bike. It only took them two years to make it just like a 2004 ZX-10. Good job. Great accomplishment for the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in the world. Anyone remember when Honda actually made exciting motorcycles? I remember when Honda set the world on it's ear with the CB 750, made a motorcycle that the world had never seen with the original GoldWing, and produced an engineering masterpiece with the CBX. Since then they remade the VFR to an 800 from a 750, made the GoldWing into an overpriced gadget carrier on wheels, developed a line of cruisers that are easily the most bland of any I have seen, and produced what was possibly the ugliest, and most ridiculous, machine ever in the Rune. They have raced a V-5 motor in GP for 5 years now and they managed to avoid producing one at all costs and end up with a 'me too' sportbike that is about 2 years too late. I think innovation and risk taking got strangled by the bottom line. I think all they are interested in is how many more 125's they can sell to Vietnam. Looks like Honda got fat, dumb, and happy over these many years. They became the GM of the motorcycle industry, and I think it will bite them in the ass in the coming years.

bidwell 02-12-2006 03:29 AM

I don't mean to call BS on the premise the new 1000RR is far less stable and faster than the 04-05 since it was a subjective evaluation. And, we all know that perception can be very inaccurate and should be backed up with hard data such as lap times and dyno pulls. Sometimes reality can be vastly different than what we perceive it to be.

Let's review the most significant changes to the 1000RR for 06 for a minute:

1) A wheelbase shorter by 5mm. Does anyone seriously think this will make any difference??? This change is most likely due to the one tooth larger rear sprocket.

2) A 3% increase in hp. I have yet to see a same day, side by side dyno of a stock 04-5 and 06 so I'm not what the real difference will be but that 3% translates to about 4.5 rwhp. So it went from 150 rwhp to 154.5 rwhp? BFD.

3) 1/4 degree steeper steering angle and 2mm less trail. This is probably the most significant of the changes but it's hard for me to imagine this turning it into a twitchy monster.

4) 17lb reduction in weight. Until someone accurately weighs a fully fueled 06 we won't know for sure exactly how much the bike lost. The weight reduction is certainly welcome and can probably be felt depending on how hard you ride. if you want to know what this feels like, do a few laps with a full tank of gas, then drain 3 gallons and go out again. You may find the effect more dubtle than you think. And, if you're really interested in an unbiased evaluation do it blind (without knowing if the gas was drained or not).

I have an 04 race/track bike that's 50 lbs lighter than stock (the bike was very accurately weighted before and after), gained nearly 10% more hp (full Akra, BMC, 520 conversion, dyno tune), is down 1 tooth in the rear, and rear ride height is 5mm higher. I can tell you this bike is just as stable and easy to ride hard as it was completely stock. But then again that's my subjective opinion :>)

ofreen 02-12-2006 05:18 AM

Yup.

naco_traficante 02-12-2006 06:04 AM

Other forgiving liter-class street bikes ?

Excellent story, thanks Sean. So what would be your short list of stable/forgiving liter-class bikes for the street now that this bike has been moved to the scary-fast list ?

SeanAlexander 02-12-2006 10:25 AM

Re: Other forgiving liter-class street bikes ?

For four-cylinder 1000s, I'm guessing it'll be between the new ZX-10R and the MV F4 1000. If we throw out the four-cylinder limitation, I'd say it's the Ducati 999.

Who knows, in back-to-back testing the CBR might still be the most stable. However I rode the '06 CBR back-toback with the '05 at the intro and there was a significant difference in stability.

12er 02-12-2006 10:31 AM

They gotta pay for their booth at the IMS somehow...

staff 02-12-2006 03:15 PM

Excellent points.

But there're intangibles here we'll never know: A small example -- maybe the '06 has faster front compression, thus the front end is squatting faster/farther under the same load, changing the trail in ways last year's didn't. Outside of HRC or Erion Racing, we may never really know. The point? None, really, other than Sean's editorial arse is pretty finely tuned, if he says it's twitchier, it's more nervous. It's usually a combination of things, but any one item can be the "last straw" the brings the harmonics into the right range to be "twitchy"...

All of which is moot, these aren't trellis-framed H2s of yesteryear -- a modern bike, it can be tuned out pretty easily. Add 5mm of trail, that'll do it... ...or offset your t-clamps forward a couple mm and see if your '04 gets more nervious, that might be the veritble straw to break the '04s stability. Or it might flight like a demon! ;-) Big fun, either way, racing a literbike!

seruzawa 02-12-2006 03:38 PM

Right. What the world needs is an 180HP motorcyle that weighs a ton and a half, fully loaded.

Holy_Kaw 02-12-2006 04:09 PM

Re: Other forgiving liter-class street bikes ?

Sooo... The new motor in an '05 chassis would be a hot ticket? Think of the development money Honda could have saved!