Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #21
HornHonker
Registered Member

Default Re: 2006 Honda CBR1000RR

My days of buying the likes of the Yamaha RZ500, 500 Gamma etc are long gone. Like many who early adopted the "Sports" bike I now wish for comfort over other things but still like some go power.

We have no track here or even nearby so such machines must be driven on the street with everything else.

What I'm getting at here is while Honda's "engineering " department is engrossed with yearly upgrades to it's bleeding edge sport models, us old guys await performance updates to what is comfortable to ride. How about diverting some talent to update the Goldwing to 180 hp and dumping some weight with light like they did with the CBR ? Us old guys like performance too, we just get sore backs now.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #22
red-silver
Registered Member

Default My bad...

Sorry Sean - No I'm not new here, and I do recognize that you're the resident go-fast guy. So my apology if it sounded like the inference was no skills or huevos!

I think it was great review! I also think that a buyer of this particular niche of motorcycle shouldn't be thinking in terms of user friendly!

A 1 litre sport bike is not, or should not be a first bike, or a development bike, this class represents the zenith of performance motorcycles. The riders who use these bikes should have the experiance and skills to exploit their virtures!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #23
Mike_Hammer
Founding Member

Sean, how quick does it handle compared to a new 600, say the Honda or Yamaha? Is it that the bike is really over-quick handling, i.e. nervous, or just over-quick for a 1000 street bike? Like a 1998 TZ125 or 1991 TZ250? You get my drift.

I love real riding reviews like this; I can read "this part was changed" anywhere. Modern bikes are so reliable and so few folks open up the engines anymore that how they FEEL out of the box is 90%+ of the buying decision.

Keep on rockin' Sean. When will we see a "Sean guest stars in an AMA race" article???
Mike_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #24
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Yo Dirty

Thanks for your honesty. It could make a difference in the choices I make. After 37 years of marriage, when I take some time to play, the phrase "easy to handle" can be significant.

Enough sucking up. Now for the unfair question of the hour: What other motojournalists were at this test and, other than yourself, who do you feel is capable of harnessing the friskier 2006 CBR and ride it to it's new higher potential? Just curious as to who the better, quicker journalists really are. Thanks. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #25
cheapbastard
Founding Member

Neeeeeexxxxxxxxxxttttttttt!!!!! Out with the old (tweaked and all) and in with the new. Get busy Honda, Suzuki has handed you your ass, and Yamaha just makes the prettiest uj liter.
cheapbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #26
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

That article was three years ago, where I took a stock-suspension ZX-6R and qualified it for the 750 Superstock race. In the race, the shock went away on lap-three and that was all she wrote. I didn't crash and there was a minimum of drama after avoiding a first-lap pileup. Not a stunning ride, but I did out-qualify about 35 Pros on GSX-R 750s. If the suspension could have gone the distance, I probably would have finished around 20th or so.

-Sean
Old 02-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #27
RonXX
Founding Member

On another topic, has anyone else noticed that pashnit.com is now chargine a fee? I can see it with MO since they have genuine business costs. However, pashnit only has to pay for his bandwidth since he would be doing the things he writes about anyway. It's really too bad since that was a good website that I will never look at again.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #28
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Jack, we don't name names as a rule (semi-professional courtesy) Speedwise, I fall in the top-five out of all motojournalists. The one name I will name, is Don Canet from Cycle World. He's widely acknoweleged as being the fastest journalist on street tires.

All bets are off on race tires, since some journalists are also current pro racers and if the tire of the day happens to be similar to tire they are currently racing with, they'll probably be the fastest guy at that test.

I do my best to be as accurate and honest as possible in my sportbike reviews. When I want a second opinion, I tend to read Canet's take in Cycle World. He isn't the most entertaining motojournalist to read (nor am I, obviously) but I truly respect his honesty and evaluation skills. He's also a hell of a nice guy.

-Sean
Old 02-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #29
bboule
Founding Member

I got my copy of MCN the same day Sean posted this. I'd guess they are one of the testers who might have been "better & faster".

I would expect MCN to be one of the few places that would give a mixed/qualified review like Sean's.

Amazingly, their review is not as mixed as Sean's it is pretty much the standard list the technical changes, along with saying it's faster/better. No mention of it being less suited for the street then last years model at all.

This article is the type of article that makes this site worth paying for!
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #30
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I spoke with Walt at the intro. He seemed entheusiastic. I have a ton of respect for him and when we ride together at intros, he's one of the few guys I'll play with on-track. We seem to have about the same pace when we're riding around relaxed and having fun. If it were a race, I think I'd have him covered, since he's wiser, knows better and I'm still immature enough to push it

Walt is a very fast guy and one of those journos who's been in the industry for about thirty years. He was a Pro racer in the '60s and '70s, was also friends with my father way back then. I trust anything he says about a bike and in this case, I'd be inclined to say he simply had a different take than I.

-Sean