Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-11-2006, 07:38 AM   #51
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I did the exact same thing!

I had a 77 R100/7 with S heads and carbs that I spent about $6k on over the 5 years I owned it. It was a nice bike, though, and I used to haul as$ on it. I could have had an F2 or something like that for the same price. Live and learn, I guess.

But then I ground out a cylinder head on Mount Hamilton, high-sided, broke my leg and riding Beemers was never then same again.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #52
humhead
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda CB550F Project Bike, Part 1

Careful. Old UJM's are habit forming. I started 4 years ago with a 79 Suzuki GS750. Now I'm up to 4 GS 1000s & 1 750e. 2 of the 1000s & the 750e are street legal & ridden regularly. (I average ~8k mi per year)

There's 293 items for your project listed on ebay right now........but you already knew that, right?
humhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #53
caffine
Registered Member

Default Re: Nice writing Gabe

I agree %100. Cafe styles have a timeless quality to them. They stand out. And they always look classy in a cool way. Cafe is about as hard core as you can get!

Don't fear a project - embrace it! Good luck!
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:19 AM   #54
Burrhead
Founding Member

The thing you and your cadre of old bike recussators tend to neglect is that weird little component, the CARBURETTOR. The Mikuni clan is related to the fastener manufacturors family and have the added advantages of offering an infinite number of models, no part of which is exactly interchangeable with the corresponding part on another bike.

How 'bout a story about carbs, prefferably 2 stroke models, so there is the added excitement of melting something is things don't go just right?
Burrhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #55
rrsteve
Founding Member

I'm at least $1000 into reviving a 78 GS750. Ditched the rusty Kerker and the pod filters for stock stuff. Carb rebuild is next. I personally love the SS allen head bolts and am using them all over the bike. Hopefully the Mag-something 440 pointless ignition can be timed correctly. Cool part is my wife wants to strip and paint the tank and plastics. Onward Gabe, maybe I'll see you on a windy Mendocino County backroad and we can drag...
Old 03-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #56
Mollygrubber
Founding Member

Is that a Freudian slip Randy? Just kidding, I think Buells are the coolest technosaurs around. Next to '75 CB550's of course. Good luck Gabe, you poor, poor man.

ps it's spelled 'yearn'
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #57
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

4 left side views and no right side views. Is the Cycle World photographer moonlighting @ MO?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #58
eawaugh
Founding Member

I don't know how much I can bash you and not get kicked off, You P*ssy it's just and old bike and you gave up before you started, I joined this ****ty site because of the future articles on that 550 four. And you call yoursevles moto jounalists

eawaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #59
optimum_malarky
Registered Member

What's the story on the old heap? Have you given up the ghost on the thing and put it out to pasture to rust away? When is the next installment coming out already!?
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote