Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #41
dmiller779
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda CB550F Project Bike, Part 1

I've got a CB550 stored and I've been thinking a "Gentleman's Express" restoration for years. I will read this series with great interest.
dmiller779 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2006, 06:48 PM   #42
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Holy Smoke!

Offer him 500 bucks and a case of really good beer. Get something a bit stronger for yourself. You'll probably need it before you have it the way it ought to be.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:59 AM   #43
steven_1
Founding Member

On one hand having built a 75 CB550k cafe back the day.Yosh cam, kerker, I have to ask why? On the other hand it got me to pick up the phone and order parts for my 77 LeMans project which was crashed and burned by the PO.

I have a bad habbit of picking up Guzzis that have spent there years in swamps or leaning on a tree, I always say never again, this LeMans is the last one! Ya right.
steven_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #44
teknoman
Registered Member

how did you minimize to 1/2 inch?..I work for the guvmint, and my computer faces the door,so I would be interested!!!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:23 AM   #45
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Can you put the heads on backwards like the older Guzzis? Makes 'em look very Cushman-like.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #46
brianriley
Registered Member

Now that is FUNNY and I can relate to all of that but the 1/2" window.

I use the method.

Life is two short to be spent in a cube

brianriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #47
brianriley
Registered Member

sorry my formating left off my method

alt tab keys - will swap your work with your play
brianriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #48
hobbywhore
Registered Member

This article couldn't have come at a better time. I just finished (it will never be finished) restoring a 1977 R100S. After all I spent getting my bike back to roadworthy condition, I could have bought a very nice, allmost new, motorcycle. Misery loves company and I will be following this series to its happy conclusion.
hobbywhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #49
billhawley
Founding Member

I fell into the trap of buying a "Winter Bike" 1980 CM400E a while back (thinking the front drum would be more forgiving than a disc on a slippery road if I actually had to apply front brake or had brain fade on ice.) Regardless of the amount of lubricant on the clutch, throttle, and brake cables, they ALWAYS froze and thus rendered it unrideable in cold weather.

So I gave up, sprayed the tank and side covers Rustoleum red (rattle cans) to replace the brushed on flat black -- no kidding -- and in the interest of color coordination, I hacked the rusted mufflers off and installed short Cherry Bomb mufflers, using stainless steel hose clamps from a heavy duty truck shop for hangers (they cost nearly as much as the Cherry Bombs.) Capped 'em with little chrome tips for a touch of "bling".

JB Weld worked great to patch the cracked and leaking float bowl (the previous owner had used a hammer to free a stuck needle...) Never did replace the bowl.

It looked beyond cool, sounded fabulous, and made a wonderful Hooligan bike that scared Hell out of newbie squids riding on "The Latest Things". It always drew a crowd wherever we went (really peed off my buddies on the expensive machines!)

Sure, after I was finished buying a stator and numerous other items (tires, clutch, shocks and brakes), I had a great ($1,200) $400.00 motorcycle! But I rode it more than my "good" bike for two years. Then I gave it away to a buddy who temporarily couldn't afford a bike (along with the requisite cardboard box of spare parts - ha ha ha!)

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #50
dug
Founding Member

Outstanding! As soon as you get done with this one, let me know when you plan to start with the early 90's F2. I'll forward the 550 story to my dad, and you can tell me how to reassemble my pile of parts/used to be an F2. I'm sure my son would appreciate it.
dug is offline   Reply With Quote