Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-09-2006, 07:11 AM   #31
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: "beware the grease mud demon who lurks in corners unseen"

It's perfect the way it is, why screw around? just ride it.

Okay, okay new brake pads and clutch......buy a set of points and a condenser, but don't install them. Carry them in your pocket as a talisman agianst break downs. penetrating oil in the cables, electrical cleaner and a business card to clean the points.......

The perfect rat, and it's got those cool ass swoopy pipes...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #32
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Have I been Insulted?

It's not too clear. I'll leave the bike parked out front, though: the Pacific is just a couple of hundred yards away. Have fun pushing it over the sand dune!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #33
django9270
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda CB550F Project Bike, Part 1

I though I was going to be the first to congratulate you on a great article Gabe, but I see I've been beaten by a couple dozen others! So I won't. I think I see a successor to Mr. Egan in the future, but don't let it go to your head; now write, boy, write! I am a typical MOron subscriber and I have already forgotten about this great article, so now I have to complain about how much the content sucks. BTW we don't really have craigslist in the backwaters of the Southeast, but I definitely am going to start looking in Cycle trader for my own hopeless project!
django9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #34
oldtim
Founding Member

Default Re: Dr. Zaius?

Yes, it is. My study of motorcyclists shows many disturbing human-like characteristics...
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #35
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I woke up last night, screaming "I see dead Motorcycles!" My own personal demon was a 74 Yamaha Vision that sat across the street, leaning sadly on it's little sidestand, in the rain, looking sooo pitiful. I took the poor little thing in for 2oo bucks, and got a spare, also non running machine thrown in.

Turns out there was a problem with the title, which cost more than the bike to sort out, and discovered that the extra double secret socket wrench necessary to remove the front spark plug was no longer available. It took several hours of savaging a nearly perfect snap-on spark plug socket (have to have paper thin walls) before I could install one spark plug.

Did you know they apparently don't make the little spigots that go on the fuel tanks anymore? At least, not without detective skills that are beyond me, though they do sell the little gaskets, so you can rebuild them.

About 2000 bucks into the project, I sold the thing for about half of what it's worth to a guy who actually knew what he was doing, and he seems fairly happy with the result, even though it is in reality slow, ill handling, hard to stop, and a bit tempermental in the ways that a 70's bike could be.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #36
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Not to mention having to buy a set of Whitworth tools!
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #37
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Funny you should publish this just now. I was just looking at a '76 550 on the San Diego Craigslist (see here). It's asking $1500, but "EVERYTHING ON BIKE IS GOOD", according to the seller. It certainly looks like it has all those original parts that are missing from your bike. Hmm, should I buy it and "follow along" with your progress? mmm, maybe not.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #38
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Holy Smoke!

It's Mr. Allcaps dad!

Seriously, $1500 is a lot for something that looks a bit thrashed.

If somebody does pay $1500 for that I'd feel much better buying my bike! Thanks.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #39
supermod
Founding Member

Gudgeon pin? Gudgeon pin? I don' gotta show ya no stinkin' gudgeon pin! Say, where is "earth", anyway?????
supermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #40
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: Holy Smoke!

Well, I'm sure you noticed that the ad said (brace yourselves) "MMMMMMMMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTT

SELL".

He's been advertising, at the same price, for a while now without that message. I guess that's his way of trying to attract additional buyers.