Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-09-2006, 03:37 AM   #21
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda CB550F Project Bike, Part 1

Gabe:

When you're done, c'mon over to my place. I got about 15 more that you can work on.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2006, 03:55 AM   #22
Jonniedee
Founding Member

I used to own this same model -

Abused the heck outta it and it just kept running.

This is one of those biikes that made the Honda mystique.
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:51 AM   #23
SRMark
Founding Member

First purchase is always a case of WD40. Then comes the spraying on of the oil, followed by the 5 days of sitting before doing anything. Now comes the tapping with the impact driver. And then comes the labeling of all the parts. This takes extra time but boy does it pay off. I'm getting old and I don't look or feel right on a new bike. No reason to go fast on an old bike but no reason to go real slow either. Those RDs still handle.

A buddy o' mine is planning a tour of the Blue Ridge and parts south. To go along you gotta have an 80s or earlier bike of 350cc or less. Three hundred miles a day for over a week. No chase van. No complaining. Now that is motorcycling. Get those old bikes going and don't stop riding them.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #24
esoteric0001
Registered Member

Jeeeze. I'm at work and I get this notice from EM-O that there is a new article online I might find interesting...oh, and look, Gabe wrote it. Well, I'll just take a quick look. I live in cube world, I'm not supposed to be laughing, it makes the other prairie dogs restless. So the quick look turns into finishing the article and hating that I got to the last line...which, incidentally is pretty hard to predict when you're reading it in a window you've squeezed down to a half inch or so at the bottom of the monitor so's most of your screen has "work related" stuff on it. Anybody else use this method ? Anyway, Gabe, you're a literary genious.......ina a hyper-average sort of way....which is probably why so many of us can relate to you. Thanks for the mid morning (while at work) laughs.

AV

(When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults....)
esoteric0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #25
red916
Founding Member

"What hath God wrought?" This is gonna be good. I will read every installment! Good luck!
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:02 AM   #26
ValkBandit
Registered Member

cool project. i'm anxious to see how it turns out.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #27
pdad13
Founding Member

Default My #26

Ah yes, I remember having a similar mortal struggle with an equally formidable Philips head screw. Er, perhaps mine was slightly more pathetic.

All I wanted to do was swap out the stock bars on my former ZRX with nice low anodized alloy jobbies. Simple, right?

Nay, the bar ends on the stock bars where held in place by two fairly shallow-headed Philips head screws...which were subsequently held in place with gobs of a super-duper Krypton-derived formulation of Loctite. Even the mighty impact driver was powerless against this foe.

I triumphed...eventually...with a little advice from my local hardware store guy and almost as much money as the new bars were worth.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #28
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Couldn't find the stickers...

Nay...struts!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:08 AM   #29
duran
Registered Member

This kicks ass. and is EXACTLY the kind of project I hope to get in to when I finally get my own garage space.

I had a 76 Honda 360T that was running on duct tape and prayers for a while. (got rid of that so I didn't have to worry anymore, and ride a 96 vfr now)...

Though I miss that old 360, and want something JUST LIKE the 550 you're working on.

The cafe racer clip ons are awesome, I'm looking forward to Pt.2. Good luck!
duran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #30
teknoman
Registered Member

All kidding aside,this is why I,m going to renew my subscription.Nice job!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote