Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #41
rip_4
Registered Member

Default Re: Part Deux: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

First bike was a borrowed Cushman Mustang. No bike for many years. then when the kids were grown, my son got me a 1991 Honda 750 Nighthawk in 1999. Good first bike. Next a HD 883, fair. Next Honda 750 ACE,good, now at age 72 I have a 2002 Yamaha FZ1, best ever. Took a 2200 mile trip on the FZ1 and was most comfortable than any of the others.

I would advise start with 600 to 750 cc. One you can put feet on the ground easy, also I would never have a bike that I could not pick up by myself if it got down. Chains are easy to adjust, oil easy to change, major fixes to the shop.
rip_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #42
aeholton
Registered Member

My first bike was a hand me down CB175 from my father.

As far as present day options, I believe a standard seating position is essential. Too many of today's "beginner cruisers" are designed with the feet forward controls. I don't think that riding position is very confidence inspiring. We recently bought my wife a used 2004 Ninja 250. This bike is ideal for learning. However, any lightweight bike with sit-upright/feet beneath you position is best for control when learning.
aeholton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #43
rgmax
Founding Member

Well, it was 1977 and my riding experience was limited to only a few brief rides on my buddy's XL250.

So I got a 1974 Kawasaki H2 750.....

Worked for me.
rgmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #44
SaturnV
Registered Member

Started on an EX250 - sold it eventually, regretted selling it almost immediately, and ended up buying another. Nice little bike - lightweight, adequate power, and easy to find used (a prerequistite for a beginner bike, as far as I'm concerned). For those who are concerned about such things, the used little Ninjettes hold their value quite well...

-S5
SaturnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #45
TJRandall1
Registered Member

I have to agree with "Flyswede'" on the choice of the KLR 650... but only if you've got at least a 32 inch inseam. It's a very capable all-around machine that is light and maneuverable. I switched to a 16 tooth primary sprocket and can cruise at seventy all day long. The smaller KLR 250 would be a good choice for those that are vertically challenged also.
TJRandall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #46
Tigercub
Founding Member

Belgian Ale (with that waffle). hic!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #47
Tigercub
Founding Member

My 16 year old daughter looked over the Jan. Cycle World article on high mpg bikes and picked the Kawi Ninja 250. I was hoping she'd pick the Yamaha 225 dual purpose bike.

I got my license on my buddy's Honda CB175. Soon after, I bought a used '70 CB100, followed 9 months later by a brand new leftover, '72 CB 350, then 2 years later replaced by a used 1970 Triumph 650 Tiger, which I still own and is still my favorite bike.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #48
pplassm
Founding Member

If it is at all possible, spoend a bunch of time dirt riding before you start street riding. You will learn how to handle limited tranction situation, what the limits of you and you're bike are, and operation will become second nature. These are powerful advantages for a first time rider.

I suggest a used KDX200/220. They are abundant, cheap, not too tall, and are very reliable.

Others will not agree with me, but stay away from off-road four strokes, especially used ones. It's too easy to get one that was treated badly, and, when they blow up, you might as well throw them away.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #49
teknoman
Registered Member

My wife wanted that[busa] to be my first bike!I think she was[is] trying to kill me!!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #50
teknoman
Registered Member

My wife wanted that[busa] to be my first bike!I think she was[is] trying to kill me!!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote