Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-08-2006, 01:58 AM   #31
EvoVII
Founding Member

Default Re: Part Deux: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

On second thought get a Gurney Alligator. Super comfy, easy to reach the ground (your a$$ is about 4 in. off it), faster'n a greased cat. You're so low to the assfault you'd run right under a semi if you hit him head on. At $30, 000 the dp might be a little cumbersome, but what the hell. It's no more'n you'd have spent if you'd been riding all these years. Makes perfect sense.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 AM   #32
gjbedna
Registered Member

Well, if you can find a good used Honda RC211V that would be the thing...why not start off at the top?

If safety is your concern and you want something a little more traditional, an old Shovelhead would be the ticket. You wouldn't be on the road a lot.

DISCLAIMER:

Please don't be freaking out on my post. It's only a poor attempt at humor and I'm not trying to be inciteful.
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:58 AM   #33
teknoman
Registered Member

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH BOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:16 AM   #34
articulat_66
Registered Member

When I started riding the first time 1984. I owned a variety of beaters. 70's model UJM's. Having no money and limited mechanical skill I spent alot of time cursing. Things are much better these days. I picked up a cosmetically damaged 600 bandit recently for 900 bucks. It's reliable, comfortable, cheap to run, and has a center stand.(Yeah!) It has enough power for me. It's not intimidating to ride. The power is fairly linear so their aren't any suprises. (I love my wife's 599 too but it can suprise you when it hit's it's powerband.) That's my two cents worth.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:23 AM   #35
teknoman
Registered Member

Geez ,what a tough subject!I think age and maturity have a lot to do with it.I started in my late 40,s.talked to ton,s of bikers.I had good friends who lent me an sv650,that I rode for months around the neighborhood gradually branching out into major streets.I am only 5ft 5in.but I never cared much for cruisers ,only because of the feet forward position As a Calvary man told me,you ride horses straight up ,not feet forward,though I do like the height.No offense to cruiser guys,I bought a used V65 sabre,Fast yes,but I m mature and resposible.Not pushing an agenda but I think EVERY new rider should read How to ride a motorcycle by Pat Hahn,before you even buy a bike,or take the test.Great book.Now I want to buy a sportbike,probably a ducati 800 supersport or sr2.Whatever bike you ride,like it first,make your monetary considerations,right next in line,because this could your only bike.The last thing I have to say and the most important,is buy THE BEST GEAR AND PROTECTION you possibly can and then consider the bike.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:38 AM   #36
lcarlson
Founding Member

I started small: Allstate (Sears) moped at age 14. These have been followed by, in order, 200 Triumph Tiger Cub; Honda CL 350 "scrambler"; Yamaha XS650; Honda V45 Magna; BMW K75/3; Kawasaki Vulcan 1500A; BMW R1100RA; Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad Fi; Buell M2 Cyclone; and BMW R1150R. Still have the last three --
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Belgian Waffle!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:59 AM   #38
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The first bike I bought with my own money was a 1996 H-D Low Rider at the ripe old age of 32.

Prior to that all my street rides had been "borrowed" from unsuspecting friends.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:25 AM   #39
Vlad
Registered Member

The SV650 is the bike I normally recommended and sold when I was in a dealership. The guys who started on it were very happy. You won't outgrow it in a few weeks. Seating position is standard. The DL 650 is a good choice if you have the inseam for it. Another good one is the Yamaha Seca II 600. There seem to be lots of used ones with low miles still on the market. Of course the Ducati 620 monster is great, but you have to be willing to put uip with the maintenance requirements.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:29 AM   #40
sarnali
Founding Member

First bike I bought with my own money was a KZ750 twin. My dad bought me a Super Rat and a RT3MX when I was a kid but the first street bike I owned and bought was the Kawi. I rode it for a year while I was piecing together my first Shovelhead, then I gave it to my dad to ride. He rode it for a couple of years then bought an R80 and gave it back.

I traded it to my buddy for a built 396 to put in my Impala which my first wife promptly got drunk with her brother in and put it in the ditch. I think my bud gave the kawi to his brother or something, I lost track of it after that but I don't think it ever missed a beat. Good bike..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote