Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #21
sconley
Founding Member

Default Re: Part Deux: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

Agree with the post about the NT650 (Hawk GT), my first bike too and I still wish I had it today... Power and fun are inversely proportional and I've had both... From an R1 through the middle weights I've recently returned to my roots and have a Buell City X... Had two Ducati Monsters before the Buell (yeah yeah, it's actually a completely different bike than the my old tube frame S1W, works like its supposta and is reliable)... All bikes are fast, all bikes can kill you... Disregard the power numbers altogether and pay attention to the chassis the most. Pick something light that feels PHYSICALLY unintimidating and controllable, and one that is designed for the type of riding you enjoy most. A hundred HP bike only has 50hp is you only twist the throttle half way... So whatever you get, learn to use common sense and you'll be fine on whatever you ride. I like twins, some don't... Some like cruisers, I don't... Doesn't mean you shouldn't. As far as dropping your first bike (knock on wood) I've never dropped any of mine and have several thousand track miles under my belt in addition to 15 years of street riding... So had I waited to get that out of the way I'd be sitting on some P.O.S that stirred zero emotion in my soul... So whether you buy new or used doesn't really matter as long as you get a bike that you enjoy owning as well as riding. As if you have the kinda weather I do in Chicago, you'll most likely be spending more time cleaning it and reading about riding than actually sitting on it... Welcome, and good luck to you...
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #22
Marin_Cycleworks
Registered Member

Having just spent the afternoon running up and down Mount Tamalpais here in Marin on a new 2006 DRZ400SM, I'd have to throw my vote that way.

I had a blast, but also kept thinking my new-to-riding girlfriend would enjoy it as much as I did. Light, really nimble, and very very forgiving of all kinds of errors. $600 in pipe and jet kit smoothed out the power issues and that's really all it needs. Great city bike, great twisties bike, and nobody really needs to do over 90 on public roads.
Marin_Cycleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #23
NLJ
Founding Member

The answer is quite simple.

There is no answer.

I started on an old beater 1980 Honda CB650, that i spent less than a $1000 on including oil change and carb cleaning.

I think a modern 650 would be a bit much for a total newbie, without any experience. I talked to someone who started on a Hyosung(Alphasports) GT-250. Light enough to inspire confidence and just enough power to keep him entertained for a while, without having the power to kill himself unitentionally.

NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #24
drthompson65
Founding Member

I say get yourself a busa and be done with it. J/K!
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #25
Fenton
Founding Member

First time, I believe I was alone.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #26
EvoVII
Founding Member

Dirt bike, hands down! 250 2-stroke or 400-450 4-stroke. Used racing bike. Make the expensive mistakes (to bike and body) without hitting cars while going slower than street speed. Learn to ride better in six months in the dirt than six years on the street. Then MSF, buy used 650 or less, take it easy for awhile learning street moves (like you're invisible, oil, etc.) and ride on smiling. I emphasize, and I am unanimous in this, that this is great advice.

Your humble servant,

**** Alexander
Old 02-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #27
PoppySTS
Founding Member

honda magna worked for me, i'm still alive
PoppySTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #28
Vee_Crunchy
Founding Member

GSX-R1000 dude. All chromed out n'stuff, no helmet, shorts and sneakers. That'll do.

Seriously though, I think thats some 110cc mini dirtbike when your at the age of 5. Thats the best way to get in to it.
Vee_Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:13 AM   #29
riyadhblues
Founding Member

Get a dirt bike and all the riding gear first

Motorcycle riding courses are a plus also work on your own to learn things for a while.
riyadhblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #30
maladg
Registered Member

Belgian Triple!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote