Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
gr8shandini
Registered Member

Default Re: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

Alright, First Post!! So today's cover story on the SV vs. Ninja 650 wasn't enough?

Well, my personal recommendation any time someone asks is a Honda Nighthawk. 250 if they're young and/or smallish, 750 if they're older and/or largest. Dirt cheap used and will teach you all the basics.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Longshot92
Registered Member

i learned on a 1981 kawasaki 440, so my vote is for any 80s ujm. i know it's not in the holy trinity, but since you WILL drop your first bike (and most likely your second, third, fourth, etc), you should be on something not worth repairing. i'd be happy to provide a review of the bike, along with how i almost rode it off a cliff, slid through numerous red lights, and learned to push-start it since the starter was fried. nothing will teach you to appreciate modern bikes like experiencing the old ones...
Longshot92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Used, under 500 cc unless a V-Twin then under 650..Standard no plastic fairing. Cheap tires and maintenance. Ride it a year or two then get your dream bike. Full face helmet, proper jacket and pants, gloves and boots..Take the MSF and go to a track school after a year or two. Then get a GSXR1000 just kidding.. After a year or two get your dream bike.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
SuperBill
Founding Member

Uhh.... Where's the survey?
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
nadimnabil
Founding Member

I'm 24 6 ft 195pounds. I bought my first bike, a 1998 honda nighthawk a year ago and I love it.
nadimnabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
nadimnabil
Founding Member

nighthawk 750
nadimnabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
gr8shandini
Registered Member

I can't believe I forgot to mention gear. I've seen a lot of people blow their wad on a bike and forget to lay aside some cash for at least a decent lid and jacket.

By the way, I don't really like arbitrary displacement restrictions (one reason I'll never support incremental licensing). If someone is more mature there's nothing wrong with going bigger as long as you're not talking GSXR-1000 or even R6. I learned on one of the new Triumph Bonnies at about 850cc and have managed not to drop a bike yet [knocks on wood]. If I had started under 500cc like most people say, I think I would have been wanting for a new bike in 2 months rather than 2 years.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
bradbarker738
Registered Member

I think the Kawasaki 500's are the best, that being the Ninja or Vulcan. Enough engine to get on the highway, but easy to handle, light weight, durable and cheap, new or used.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
mikenomad
Founding Member

Some things to consider:

You can take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Rider Course and they will provide a small bike (125-250cc). Once you've taken this two-day course, you will have enough familiarity with a bike that size alone will be less intimidating.

If you have the upper body strength and inseam length to make your first bike a larger-displacement bike (maybe 500-750cc), you can avoid quickly outgrowing your first bike.

Assuming that you've taken the MSF course and passed, making a midsized bike (rather than a small bike) your first bike will allow you to enjoy it for a year or two while you further develop you skills and confidence.

A midsized bike won't overwhelm you, but you will be able to enjoy it on highways and interstates, places where little bikes are overstressed and will fatigue you.

Because it's not limited to slow speeds, a midsized bike will allow you to ride with more-experienced riders and benefit from their riding tips.

It's very important, however, to take the MSF beginner course. This course will squeeze into two days a lot of riding knowledge and hands-on experience; it would probably take you weeks or months to reach that level of proficiency while wobbling around you subdivision, unsure of what you're doing right or wrong and just being scared of the whole experience.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Excellent Point

Yep I agree I learned on my new at the time 2001 Ninja ZX-6R Supersport. But I was over 30 married etc. I am assuming most newbies are younger and less mature. Even so I have a few speeding tickets ... Your 2 month comment is a good one. I bought my bike with a stock bonus i.e kind of one shot deal in the family budget so I thought I better buy the most performance for my dollar...i.e I wouldn't have a second shot for funding for awhile.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote