Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-01-2006, 05:38 AM   #71
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Re: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

Yes, pdad13 I was thinking of the MSF courses in my area. They are chock-full of Nighthawks and Rebels and those models seem to be just right for the newbies. Some of whom are pretty klutzy. And I was one of them many years ago.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2006, 05:39 AM   #72
lindsey
Registered Member

Nighthawk 250, 550 or 750. Owned a 750, best-mannered all-arounder ever!
lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #73
sarnali
Founding Member

My first real street bike was a shiney new 1980 KZ750 twin, before that I had a Hodaka Super Rat and an RT360MX that I rode and raced MX, poker runs and some desert races in Eastern Wa. with my dad. Growing up in a motorcycle household and learning to ride at a very young age in the dirt is an incredible advantage to street riding.

My daughters both want bikes, so after a lot of pondering I think I'll get them a couple of GS 500 F's. I guess i'll just take the body work off and leave it in the garage till they get a little practice in but I think Suzuki is the best bike on the road right now and with the body panals on the GS500 is a sharp and sporty little bike.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 AM   #74
jfiore
Registered Member

I totally agree! Learning how to control a sliding dirt bike helped me in more than one situation when I lost traction on the street due to oil-slicked spots...I think I freaked out a few cagers when I slid my old Honda 750F through the intersection crossed up, then continued down the crossing street as if nothing had happened!
jfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:56 AM   #75
macmanjim
Founding Member

My first bike was a 1978 KZ-1000A2. perfect bike for me as I am 6'5 and at the time around 260Lbs. Any UJM is a good starter as they have adaptable ergonomics and can do anything you need it to do within reason. It was the best all around bike I have owned.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:24 AM   #76
RonXX
Founding Member

I think it's the SV650. Of course I did recommend that to someone, he got it, and he died on it. I don't know, maybe for some people it should be no bike at all. Who can predict the future though?
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #77
Chukchi
Registered Member

I am a firm believer in the good old fashioned enduro for first time riding, that is if you have never operated a motorcycle before...ever. Enduros or dual-sports are very durable and people won't think twice about a few scratches and dings when you go to sell it. Otherwise, I think seat height is a more important factor than engine displacement. Most newbies fall during parking lot maneuvers and taking off from a stop, not at speed. In other words real newbies tip the bike over, they don't "lay it down". A bike that is low enough that you can flat foot on the ground while on the bike will keep the accidental tip overs to a minimum.
Chukchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #78
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Hip Replacements.

Living on borrowed time pal.. kind of like when you got that home equity loan and paid off the credit cards but then you charged up some more. It feels good while your are doing it but then you have to pay up. Wait till we have to start paying off W's massive debts with all of you GPTB retiring. Who is going to pay for your Medicare sponsered hip replacements.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:42 AM   #79
davidhaner
Founding Member

I think the ninja250 is completely underrated. I bought one first, to the dismay of my rider friends, and they all loved it when they rode it. Nobody could believe it was a 250. I rode it for 4 months and then my wife wanted to ride, so I bought an sv650s for myself. I would never have given up the ninja250 if it wasn't for the fact that my wife wanted to ride. That said, the sv650s is a much better bike; the ninja250 was a bit scary when cars were going 75 on the freeway - you're restricted to the acceleration of an accord and don't feel like you can get away.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:43 AM   #80
03zx12r
Registered Member

I started on a 76 Yamaha XS500 - not the best first bike. My wife started on a EX250 - 250 ninja - other than the 30hp this was a real good first bike - 70mpg and will do 100MPH with me ( a 200 plus pounder ) on the bike. Not bad - even has a full fairing. The only 250 with a tach, temp guage and disc brakes. handles a lot better than the rebel or virago.

When it was time to move on I stepped her up to a Suzuki GS500e - what a great bike. This bike has way good brakes. Still only a single disc up front, but its large and it works very well - gives a lot of confidence. This bike makes a little more power, but is only a 2 valve head. The factory unit suffered from a dry head bearing, which I replaced and after a good quality rejet (with a gaz analizer) the bike runs good. High marks for this bike.

The trouble is that she has moved up again and I let both of these bikes go to generate funds for her 750. Now I wish I had a good 50-70 Mpg bike to use for commutting as the zx12 does not get the best fuel mileage. Prices are reasonable for either of these bikes and I highly recommend them to anyone.

Allen Todd

Kansas City

03ZX12R

03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote