Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-01-2006, 04:19 AM   #61
SBZREX
Registered Member

Default Re: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

While I currenly own A Kwak ZRX, I'd have to say my Honda Nighthawk 750 was probably the easiest to ride and did everything well enough to be the best bike I've ever owned. A new rider could learn on the Nighthawk, add accessories depending on the type of riding (fairing etc.) and have a really nice, reliable do it all bike for years to come.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2006, 04:24 AM   #62
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent Point

Hey, Chicken Little, these must be "good" times then.

I agree, look at all the opportunity that is available under W. Save now!

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:13 AM   #63
aeholton
Registered Member

Back in the mid 1970's, my first street bike was a hand-me-down CB175 from my dad when he bought a CB350. I later got the CB350 when he quit riding.

Years later, when I re-entered the fray (1997), I bought a new GS500E that I rode for 2-3 years till I bought a Buell M2. I handed the GS500E back down to my dad when he decided to start riding again.

Recently, I bought a used 2004 Ninja 250R for my wife. Plenty forgiving for a newbie, fun to thrash for an experienced rider.
aeholton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #64
SV650GLEN
Registered Member

I agree with SuperBill above. Where is the survey?

I am 60 years old and ride an SV650. The SV650 is way more than enough for a first bike. Buy a used bike for the first ride and save $1000 +++ for proper riding gear. Good Jacket, Pants, Boots, Full Face Helmet, etc.

SV650Glen
Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 AM   #65
christian_gates
Founding Member

Uh, duh. ZX-10R. What can I say? I'm a value shopper.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:39 AM   #66
Neal
Founding Member

There is no BEST beginner bike;when picking one there are several variables to consider,such as riders age,size, athleticism and aspirations.My wife (5'4',108lb.)began riding at the age of 51. She is in excellent shape and very athletic(water skis/snow skis,etc.) but was a little leary of riding.I ruled out the Honda Rebel since i dont think the cruiser layout is best for beginners and she didnt like the feel of the Kawi EX500. She took the MSF course on a Nighthawk 250 but didnt want one for some strange female reason. I was looking for an EX250 ,but she sat on a BUELL BLast and liked the feel. Very slightly used with 330 miles on the clock for $3k.Her sister bought a new Blast at the same time. Bottom line is its perfect for her......everything is about 7/8 scale so it fits her perfect. It doesnt have much power,but she mostly rides on rural 2 lane blactop type roads at 50-65 mph. She has gotten pretty proficient and Iwant her to "move up" to a Guzzi Breva 750 or a Ducati Monster 620 (so I can ride it dammit) but shes sticking to the Blast.....its just very user friendly and she's comfortable on it. I dont think the Blast would make a good beginner bike for a 6',24 year old male and the Kawi 250 might be better for a smallish women interested in a more aggressive riding style,but for my smallish middle aged,cruising speed wife,it worked perfect.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #67
pdad13
Founding Member

I think Naco was referring to the 250cc Nighthawk and Rebels used in the MSF course and not all past Nighthawk models. The 250 Nighthawk is the only one of the breed still in production, hence the liberal use of the moniker. And I'm sure it would be seriously smoked by any of the other '80's Nighthawk flavors. The old 75OSC was a pretty hot bike for its day.

P.S. The first streetbike I ever rode was a not-too-beat-up '82 Nighthawk 450. I owned a '97 750 as a re-entry bike. And, if I must say, I'm definitely not a klutz.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:22 AM   #68
wilro09
Registered Member

Default Right On!

If its your first bike you will make some beginner's mistakes which include things like falling over at stop signs, forgetting to put down the sidestand, using the too much front brake in a low speed turn. These things will hurt. Might as well do this on a bike with not much money invested and light enough for you to pick up yourself and move on.

When all the stupid is out of your system buy your dream bike!!!
wilro09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:23 AM   #69
sarnali
Founding Member

I've never really got that feet flat on the ground requirement, just slid your butt off the seat and tippy toe.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #70
Captain_1
Founding Member

XR50.... 3 weeks later... Busa!
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote