Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent Point

I thought you were rich.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
akinvest
Registered Member

Default Re: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

These are all good advice. First bike depends a lot on the person who is learning. Their age, size, experience level, pain threshold and money to spend on a bike. The first bike should be a used bike, about 250cc and not feel too intimidating to the new rider. The new rider should consider a basic rider course mandatory. Don't feel like it is a waste of money to buy a used bike because when you drop it (trust me, you will) the entire cost of the bike will be less than the repairs of a new bike. Besides, the used bike will always bring some resale value. Along with the first bike goes the (should be required) personal gear like helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, & chaps. I know that it costs a lot but like the used bike, the gear will be cheaper to repair/replace than your skin, bones, face. I would also suggest reading some of the excellent books like "Proficient Motorcycling". You will get riding tips you never thought of. Lastly, avoid the urge to impress other people when riding because the only thing they will be impressed of is "what a fool!" After all this, all I can say is becoming a proficient rider is one of the most rewarding feelings one can get. Happy riding! Rodger Hopp

akinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

Great first bikes: 1999-2002 Suzuki SV650, 2000-2005 Suzuki GS500, 2000-2006 Suzuki Katana 600 & 750, Any Suzuki Bandit, Honda's 599, Honda's VLX600 Shadow, Yamaha's V-Star 650, Kawasaki's NEW Ninja 650, Vulcan 500 & 800, Kawasaki KLR series, Suzuki's DR series. All in all, any one of these bike will not scare the crap out of you as a first ride. They are also easy to insure and easy to take a road skills test on. There are also many maxi-scooters out there that will fit the bill form Honda's Silverwing to Piaggio's B9. None of them will disappoint for a newbie.

Thanks- Kirk Harrington you friendly neighborhood insurance guy (with 24 yrs of riding exp)
Old 01-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #14
KevDog
Registered Member

I took the MSF last fall and have been eyeing a bike ever since. I just found out that I'll be getting quite a nice tax refund, and my wife, of all people, knowing my desire for a bike, suggested that I use part of the refund to pay down on the bike.

I posted the question here about the bike I'm looking at, read everything here and on other motorcycle forums I could find about "starter" bikes.

What I will be doing in the next couple of days follows most advice read except for buying a used bike. I know I'm not going to be able to trade bikes every time I outgrow them or get tired of them.

For that reason, I will be buying a new V-Strom 650 (Wee-strom). Everything I've read indicates it should accelerate like a sports car to about 80mph, and after that, I don't have much interest for now. I know it will be a bike that I can hold onto for a while.

Kevin Moran
KevDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member

Any Bandit but the 1200 I assume you meant.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:22 PM   #16
12er
Founding Member

fabulous choice, the swiss army knife of bikes. Handles great, good power and bags are an option. Play, tour, commute, whatever...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Speed Triple!
Old 01-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #18
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Same place all our surveys are posted: On the right column of the main news page.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:56 PM   #19
nightrebel
Registered Member

without a doubt it's the Honda CB250 Nighthawk.
nightrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

My first bike was a Honda XR75.

Does that count?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote