Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #101
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Excellent Point

"Bad times are coming "

I've been hearing that since 1960. If bad times were REALLY coming, wouldn't maxing out the 401K be a REALLY BAD IDEA considering the stock market would hit the floor? Gold under the mattress would be the only thing worth a damn in bad times. Ask anyone that lived through the depression.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #102
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

Buell Blast.

After is gets confertable and feels too slow, add some of Buells performance parts and get use to that.

Then, after maybe 3yrs, trade to Firebolt.

But thats me. I love those Buells
Old 02-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #103
Tigercub
Founding Member

Git you a 1963 Triumph Tiger Cub with energy transfer ignition. The later model uses roller bearings on both ends of the crankshaft! 4-speed gearbox with easy kick starting. No need for turn signals - jes stick your arm out to signal a turn.

When you're done riding it you can sell if for more than you bought it and will be ready to enter the engineering school of your choice.

P.S. Don't ride at night and not too far from home.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #104
sarnali
Founding Member

I find that a .303 under the mattress and a .45 in my back pocket is pretty good insurance against bad times......

keeps the riff-raff out of the yard..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #105
sarnali
Founding Member

That's the bike I learned on, except '64, great bike. I've still got the service manual for it....
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #106
pplassm
Founding Member

Then they're learning to ride in the wrong environment. Make'em ride ride mini-bikes in the dirt first, like us old fogies! Then they shoudl work their way up throughg progressively larger/faster bikes. Isn't that REALLY what's called for?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #107
pplassm
Founding Member

I agree. I have one, but I wouldn't reccomend it for a beginner.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #108
KevDog
Registered Member

I'm 6'3" tall with a 34" inseam.

While I agree this may be too tall a bike for a lot of people, there are those of us who think the bike fits like a glove.
KevDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:08 AM   #109
christian_gates
Founding Member

A .303? As in, .303 Enfield? Wow. That's pretty unusual.

Why not just get a Martini Henry in whatever weirdo caliber that thing was chambered in and call it a day? It blows big chunks of things away, at least at short range...
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:10 AM   #110
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

It is an issue of relative strength and leverage. I can leg press 500 lbs. at only 5'5" so I'm pretty strong for my size. If I can get 100% of my leg strength to the ground and can use my weight to shift the balance of the bike, I can keep it upright without any issues. Take away my leverage by reducing my 'contact patch' to the ball of my foot on one side only and I can't take advantage of my strength because so little of it can be exerted.

Then, extend the thought experiment to a 5'5" woman. She has less mass to shift, less strength to exert and has the same issue with leverage. You can't use even a small portion of your leg strength when all you have to work with is your tippy toes. She would likely be fine most of the time, but there will come a day on a poor road where she'll step down into a small depression and that bike will shift even a couple of degrees to one side, drastically increasing the percentage of the bike's weight directed towards the ground and she won't be able to get her full foot down fast enough to counteract the weight.

If it isn't a pothole, then it will be a crack in the pavement, some loose gravel, some oil, rain ... something will abruptly take away what little leverage she (or I) has and that bike is going over, pronto.

On a Weestrom loaded with gear and a passenger, it is no small thing to dump the bike, either. I've seen my sister in law struggle to lift a 250 Rebel from the ground, let alone a loaded Weestrom that' s 2.5 times the weight.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote