Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #91
bigj_1
Registered Member

Default Re: Best First Bike: We Need Your Help!

No doubt. Ninja 500. Maybe even the Ninja 250 for smaller riders. Can't go wrong.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #92
cls
Registered Member

The best first bike is ideally a dirt bike, but I presume you want a street bike. That being the case, any of a number of choices are fine. It depends on physical strength, coordination, etc., but safer is better when considering generalities for the masses.

Therefore, it's hard to beat the Kawasaki Ninja 250. It is about as unintimidating as a "real" bike can be, and still will serve you well for years, if needed/desired. Initial cost, insurance, fuel economy, etc. require minimal from the owner, as well. I've been riding for years, all kinds of "the latest and greatest," and I still think the little Ninja's a hoot. Bigger bikes may, or may not, work out ok, and cruiser type bikes make many feel less balanced or poised, especially when beginning.

The Ninja 250 is the ticket!
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #93
conchscooter
Founding Member

I ride a 1992 Suzuki LS 650 ("Savage") purchased for $3100 and still sold as the S40 for around $5,000 brand new.

I am 48, I commute 25 miles each way on roads with speed limits up to55mph. I have added a windshield, soft bags and a lockable top-box. Top speed around 80 or 85 mph.I modified the carb to eliminate backfires and reduced my mileage to around 50 mpg (always pushing the speed limit!).

Whether you maintain it yourself or pay someone the Suzuki is an eay bike to own- single cylinder, air cooled, belt drive low seat height- its biggest handicap is low self image. Its labelled a "girls bike" or a "beginner's bike" and unless you are a lover of simplicity or a believer in self you will be required by social mores to sell the bike as soon as you can ride it without falling off. Thats when old farts like me steal it from you for a song and go home and gloat.

It has a small tank (90miles range), silly chopper riding position and no tach, but a generous engine with lots of torque and ujm reliability. I wish it looked like my old Yamaha SR500- and had kickstart as well!

I just love the fact that this unnoticed machine has been in production for 20 years and it gives me a cheap thrill every day. How lucky am I?

Conchscooter, Key West, FL.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #94
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent Point

Is she taking the big bus to school or the little one like you did?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #95
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Hip Replacements.

Got that right. Nobody knows how long we have, so you gotta live it up a bit. I'm not rich like KPuke, but I have 4 bikes.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #96
nesbit
Founding Member

Right, the pros and cons of new vs used. Just seems to me that unless you can make authoritative judgement on safety and condition of used machine, you can end up burdened with machine failure and possible related safety conditions in addition to having to concentrate on developing riding skills. No warranty means no recourse for the newbie. There seems to be some very competitive pricing around on new left overs - even current '06 models, and of course, you can always consider a used dealer model that may come with a warranty. But money will frequently end up being the deciding factor. Like I said - there are pros and cons on this issue, so it's a very personal decision.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #97
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default N.A.

Namibia ?
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #98
ncelik
Registered Member

USED bike in good mechanical condition.

ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #99
KZ6
Founding Member

If you didn't learn on a mini-bike or in the dirt, then I agree the Honda Rebel 250, any Kawi 250/500. No matter what your body type, forget about higher displacement rides, you can always trade up. The Buell Blast is also cheap and available. Good luck.
KZ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:31 AM   #100
choffman
Registered Member

My first bike was a used Suzuki GZ250. Some people may sneer at this humble bike, but consider that I'm 5'3", inseam length is 29", 115 lbs and female. In six months I was ready for my next bike, a BMW F650CS, which I had for a couple years. Next bike was a Triumph Sprint 955. I'm now riding a BMW R1200GS - with Ohlins shocks tuned for my leg length. If it had not been for that little Suzuki, I would not have gotten started at all. In retrospect, a small dirt bike, like one for an eleven year-old boy, fitted with street tires might have been another way for me to get started.

http://www.balsamfir.com/motorcycle.htm
choffman is offline   Reply With Quote