Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #41
Gabe
Registered Member

Default MPG

We pretty much just fill the tanks and record the mileage we get. We don't have a standard test loop. With these bikes, the riding we did was about 60% freeway, 10% city and 30% twisty roads. RPM stayed around 6-8000 rpm most of the time.

In other words, I think pretty typical of how the bikes would be used in real life. If you want good gas mileage you should get a 250 Ninja or a scooter. In the meantime, enjoy the incredible performance you get from a vehicle that gets 35-40 mpg!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #42
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: What You've Been Waiting For!

"I might be wrong but with a few tweaks we might have a bike that can lighthaul tour, commute and flog at the track."

You mean like every SV-650 produced in the last five or six years?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:05 AM   #43
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default I really liked the dyno run vids. Stop doing them?

For me, those vids were the best part of the articles. Has MO stopped doing them?
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #44
OhioSteve
Founding Member

Year after year, motorcycle journalists refuse to give us concrete information about braking. In Car & Driver, I can get 70-0 braking numbers for sports cars, but I can't get similar information about new bikes from motorcycle.com. I started reading this article thinking "the big question is the Ninja's brakes". I finished it thinking the exact same thing, because as usual I didn't get any numbers for braking.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #45
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I shouldn't steer you to a competitor, but...

Motorcycle Consumer News does 60-0 testing of all the bikes they test, as well as 1/4 mile and top speed. They also only do about 1/2 the bike reviews we do a year and charge $41 a year.

Car magazines have multi-million dollar budgets and can do lots more than we can. It's just the reality of an industry that fits between swamp-boats and snowmobiles in sales volume.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

Go to the MCN website and click on performance data. It gives the braking data for the bikes they test. You'll note that a VTX1800 stops more quickly than a Honda 599.

So much for the belief that sportbikes stop faster than cruisers. I have no idea where that false belief came from. But an awful lot of people seem to believe it.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #47
jeremywitt
Founding Member

Default Re: MPG

And MCN observed an average of 65.8 (IIRC) MPG for the Ninja 650R, so YMMV.
jeremywitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #48
jimboy1
Registered Member

I was disapointed that you decided to test the SV650S rather then the standard SV650 with the higher bars against the 650R.

The essense of these bikes is the higher bars upright riding position and that position will be a major choice factor for most buyers. You mentioned this at the get go ut then made the wrong choice. Duuh! Readers would have been able to get around any test notations around wind but it is hard to evaluate the two bikes fairly when they are so very different in riding attitude. I was disappointed in this. It spoiled what should have been a great comparo.
jimboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #49
fazerdude
Registered Member

Good Comparo. I'll probably be trading the Ninja 500 in on a 650R in a couple of years, when the price of the used ones has dropped.

I've only sat on a 650R, but it really felt like the kind of bike for me. This review make me think that even more.
1986 Fazer
fazerdude is offline   Reply With Quote