Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #31
Gabe
Registered Member

Default SV, still...

Since they both have rubber lines now, doing the same thing to them both would (presumably) improve them equally.

Phil Douglas does miraculous things with suspension. But the non-linkage rear on the Kawi will be harder to improve than just bolting in a GSXR shock on the SV. Someone will have to make a whole new shock for it, which will take a while.

I think the SV will always be better, unless you spend crazy money on the Kawi.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #32
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Just pull them off your old Tiger Cub...

Or build them out of chromed re-bar. Make sure your Afro wig is DOT-approved before you go riding.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #33
peter_anon
Registered Member

Default Re: I originally wrote 2003...

Good on you for 'fessing up.

Great bike, the SV650/S. My GF got the SV650 as her 'reentry' bike and she is loving it.

peter_anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:51 AM   #34
micro66
Founding Member

Default Re: What You've Been Waiting For!

Speaking of two cents,once you put a lower fairing on the sv to complete its look,wich the 650r has standard.The kawasaki owner could get a header,witch would kill its treehuger status, and any top end atvantage the sv once had!
micro66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 AM   #35
teknoman
Registered Member

So that,s my illness!Glad you diagnosed it!!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:08 AM   #36
teknoman
Registered Member

OH HELL NO!!I saw the video.Was that a "Ballet for Crackheads"?Funny,very funny
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #37
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Just pull them off your old Tiger Cub...

Solid!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #38
Gabe
Registered Member

Default OK, can we use your bike for the next test?

We can (and have) buy or borrow motorcycles for reviews (I did it last year when I tested the SV650S against the Hyosung), but the manufacturers HATE it when we do. They like to prep their bikes to make sure they are in perfect (read: motors that are carefully prepped to make as much power as possible and still be stock) running order. They aren't cheater bikes, per se, but just very, very well set-up bikes with fresh rubber and perfect states of tune. You can't blame them for wanting their products controlled for the possible defects/improper setup issues a privately-owned bike might have.

For instance, my own Triumph still hasn't had the recall done for a defective fuel line fitting. Imagine doing a test, and then the fuel line starts to leak. That motorcycle could poop frozen yogurt and we'd still view it unfavorably. That wouldn't be fair to Triumph.

If we used privately-owned bikes for tests too frequently, we could find ourselves marginalized (well, more than we already are) in short order: not invited to press intros, put last on the list for demo bikes, etc. Ironically, ad revenue doesn't have as much to do with how well the OEMs bikes do in our tests as you'd think: we almost never test Triumphs or Ducatis (and we SLAMMED the last Triumph we had, the Rocket III: Pete said it should be put on the "first rocket out of here"), yet they both advertise with us.

There's also liability. If we crashed a friend's bike on a test, there'd be ghastly insurance issues, but the OEM's bikes are covered by their own bazillion-dollar insurance policies. Often times, if the OEM doesn't think we crashed because we were idiots, they won't make us pay for the damage. Other times, we pay a very reduced parts-only bill.

Believe me, I've considered stuff like that, until I was informed of the realities of this industry. People who just do whatever they think will work tend to fade away in this business, where those who follow the rules religiously hang around forever, but tend to be pretty conventional in what they write and produce.

We try to walk the line between the extremes and have managed to stick around 12 years.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #39
nomad62
Registered Member

I was really excited to see and read this comparo. The bikes are like chocolate and vanilla, both good, different uses. I have always loved middleweights and love these choices. Hopefully the ninja will cultivate a following. I'd like to see it compared to the 650 V strom in a sporttour setting.

I might be wrong but with a few tweaks we might have a bike that can lighthaul tour, commute and flog at the track.
nomad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:32 AM   #40
rapier
Founding Member

Less than 40 MPG for 650's! To think I sometimes moan about mid 30's with my 1200ZZR. Obviously I'm an idiot. Still, my old 80 ZX750 with a huge Slipstreamer bar mount faring got well into the 40's.

Maybe your numbers are skewed from all the flogging you do. Do you have some sort of standard procedure for measuring MPG? Like a tank of commuting and around town stuff at near legal speeds. If you don't use some standard you would be better not publishing the numbers.

MPG is a performance issue as well as a money one. Less of one for pure sport bikes but for all purpose daily driver ones like the little Ninja it would really mean something if it couldn't get well into the 40's most of the time
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote