Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
riyadhblues
Founding Member

Default Re: MSF Advanced Rider Course

All rookie mofoes should take some sort of riding courses and renewal courses for us old mofoes
riyadhblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
BillyO
Registered Member

The women outside the "chopper" were the insructors,Right ?
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:25 AM   #3
rock06r
Founding Member

I had taken the beginner MSF course with a couple of really cool instructors in upstate NY a few years ago. At the time it was purely the "quick" way for me to get the motorcycle endorsement, but now several years later I recognize it as being one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

In the riding months I usually commute the bike to/from work (about a 40 minute ride) for fun and to save on gas. I can't even begin to tell you how often I've had near-collisions with drivers that simply do not pay attention. There's this one section in Poughkeepsie near the bridge where exits come at you from the left and the right, and several times I've had to get out of the way of someone ignoring the YIELD and STOP signs (from both directions even). The last couple of years it seemed that there were more of those "fast and furious" types with modded imports on the road as well. I think they lower the seats down to the point where they barely can peek over the dashboard anymore. But anyhow, that's a different rant.

As for the bits about straightening out before braking - think of it this way -- you're not racing against someone. You just want to come to a safe stop. If your choice is between slamming into something and sliding on your leathers in the dirt, I'll take the dirt 9 times out of 10. Most roads have plenty of space between the edge of the road and "foreign objects" (unless you're in a metropolitan area). Also, keep in mind that the training is only a few hours long. They don't have weeks and months to reteach your reflexes. They just have a dozen tries or so, and then it's on to the next lesson. If you are leaned over and break hard, you WILL highside. Even if you had thighs of steel you will not be able to keep your butt on the seat. The front will give you a small wiggle, and the tail will give you a kick in the pants. Just watch those famous racing videos with the rider being flung 16 feet in the air. It's physics. And now your choice is between a highside on the road with the bike possibly flipping on top of you, or a low side in the dirt. What would you choose? It's the lesser of two evils, but heck, you're about to buy the farm in a couple of seconds anyway.

It's like a near-ambush drill. Toss the grenades, and jump in after them with guns blazing. That's all you can do. And with a bit of luck and skill, maybe they won't send a letter to your next-of-kin afterwards.

Hooah! and "Keep up the Fire"

C Co, 1/9 Inf Ft Lewis, WA (93-96)
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:02 AM   #4
tarheelbob
Founding Member

Default U-turns

The writer evidently doesn't live in Michigan. Every left turn up here is actually a "Michigan left" which consists of turning right at the intersection, getting in the left hand lane, and then making a u-turn to head in the desired direction. I use tight radius u-turns every day on my commute. For me, that would be a valuable lesson for the course, and one I practice in the real world every chance I get.
tarheelbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #5
Hobbsie
Founding Member

I enjoyed your piece immensely. Well written.

I wonder if MSF courses taught by military personal on base are available to us mere mortals?
Hobbsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:50 AM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: U-turns

Holy crap, a lot of Jersey and some of Philly is like that, too. It's freakin' aggravating!

The road planners in the northeast must have been German Dominatrix. It's the only explanation for the layout of travel around here.

And why is it there aren't ANY street signs around here?! It's killin' me!

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 AM   #7
ejis
Founding Member

I took the ERC about 6 months after I got my endorsement. While it was useful, I wouldn't exactly call it advanced. Some of the same things annoyed me, like the requirement that we use 4 fingers on the front brake and not cover it (how are you supposed to blip the throttle for a smooth downshift while braking with 4 fingers?)

After 6 years of riding, I took Lee Parks' Advanced Rider Clinic. While this course is also at low speeds, around cones in a parking lot, it teaches skills and tactics that, while you may already know, you likely don't apply correctly unless you've been to many a track day.

At that course, I completely erased any remnant of a chicken strip and could have dragged my knee had I stuck it out a little farther. I felt completely in control the entire time, and my cornering on the street is now much faster (when I want it to be), though also much more controlled and better thought out.

This course is much more expensive than the MSF course, but in my opinion, you get what you pay for. The ERC is a great intro to riding, but is not an advanced street riding course.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: U-turns

I have lived all my life in New York until 15 yrs ago[I,m 55 now] And I did not own a car[wife did] until I moved to Vegas.We went back about 4yrs ago and the roads still scared me to death.I salute all you folk who ride bikes in the northeast,me I,m just too chickens**t
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:21 AM   #9
teknoman
Registered Member

Man my youngest son is a cook out at Ft Irwin[Sven Manning].Glad you took the course,but I,d like to know,did you find a preponderance of young guys riding hyperbikes!I know at Nellis in Las Vegas whenI go to see my son at the Army Reserve That,s all I see.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

Wow, I didn't know you got to shoot machine guns and howitzers at an MSF class. I'd have taken one a long time ago.

When I was in the Navy, the only thing you needed to ride on base was a helmet and insurance, times do change...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote