Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #41
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: MSF Advanced Rider Course

I wasn't trying to give you a bad time - I enjoyed your article. Tenaya Lake's another 15 miles or so west on Highway 120. I believe your photo is of Ellery Lake. You can see Tenaya in the distance in the photo next to the Yosemite's Tuolomne Meadow - the shot's taken from the west side, looking toward the ENE.

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway120.htm

imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #42
sportriderjed
Founding Member

OK thanks. I really like that pashnit site...I have had more great rding days based on roads and reviews from it than I can count.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:40 AM   #43
Chango
Founding Member

Neato. STT is the group I have gone to the track with so far. I made it down to Barber for a couple of weekends last year, and I'm going a couple of times this year too. Also, STT is now partnered with Fastrack Riders, so if one or the other is closer to your neck of the woods, either one should provide the same style of instruction.

Chango
Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #44
KLRer
Founding Member

Tough competition rating all those babes in front of the copter. If those are all wives of the officers or enlisted, sign me up.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #45
Sipde
Registered Member

As RiderCoaches, we try to teach students when stopping in a curve that the proper technique would be to straighten the handlebars, square the motorcycle, then brake. If you are leaning and grab a handful of front brake chances are pretty good that you will fall down. I agree that experienced riders don't really need to be coached on the 4 fingers vs 2 finger braking, but we do try to encourage newbies to use proper techniques.

I'm sorry that you felt that your experience as a rider made you feel that the training was below your abilities, but I hoped you learned a little something from the experience.
Sipde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:06 AM   #46
jlwolff911@hotmail.c
Founding Member

Well here is the goat rope I went through PCSing to Germany. I had my stateside MC endorsement (Texas) and just took the ERC course 60 days prior to coming to the land of beer and brats. I had to take a written test in addition to the one for my USAUER (US armed forces Europe) license then I had to have someone ride a bike to the post so I could take a riding test. So after all that, I was able to ride per Army standards in Europe. Now had I been an airforce puke, all I would have to show was said stateside endorsement and recent ERC card.

As for pissing away tax dollars, I am sitting in Kuwait makeing 2000 more and month and working 40 less hrs a week seeing 4 hrs of sick call per week. This little 5 mo fiasco will pay for a Duc ST3S when I get back to the good old BRD. Thank you all of you great American taxpayers. My only quesion is senna gray or Ducati red?
jlwolff911@hotmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:08 AM   #47
jlwolff911@hotmail.c
Founding Member

Sorry for the typos as these damn Haji computers have ***** poor keyboards.
jlwolff911@hotmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #48
ErricZ
Registered Member

<blockquote> Our next trial consisted of trying to stop while turning. Here I think the MSF is making the biggest mistake of all with the course. We ran through the turns at 15-20 mph a few times to get familiar with the layout, then had to come in to the turn, initiate lean in, then stand the bike up and stop. They did not want us to brake while leaned in the least, and encouraged us to run outside the lines that marked the borders. Why you would want to teach someone to stand the bike up and run it off the road to try and stop is beyond my understanding.

Perhaps they are thinking there will be a large tree, guard rail, or SUV that you will stop against proving that their way is the fastest way to stop. </blockquote>

Well, what the Instructor should have told you was that you are only riding the course in 1/3 of the lane. If you go over the line a little, you should end up in the middle third, essentially.

I am a training to be an MSF RiderCoach and my Trainer explained the exact same thing to someone this past weekend when they asked.
ErricZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #49
chandanagrawal11
Registered Member

i think that some kinda of riding course is a must for old mofoes.