Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #21
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default Re: MSF Advanced Rider Course

Good analogy. Speaking from experience, I can say I much prefer a lowside slide to a highside induced broken bone. Most of those racing highsides are from acceleration and the subsequent wheelspin/hookup, not braking, which will usually result in a front end tuck. I was more thinking along the lines of trying to keep from crashing at all, but I see your point. I am glad the course was useful for you.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #22
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default Re: U-turns

Yup I know what you mean. Now that you mention it when I lived in upstate NY, I had to do the uturn to turn right pretty often, and the roads seemed to be narrower. Good point.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #23
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Thanks for the kind words. I am sure you could take it on base, but you would have to pay for it. Getting on the post might require jumping through some extra hoops too. Since the course is the same, I would just find out where a local one is and attend that one.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #24
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Good question. I have never tried it on post out of fear, and truthfully the traffic is never that bad on post out in the middle of the moon. It might be a local policy; if so it would fall on the garrison commander or provost marshall to make the call.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #25
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Thanks for the input. You think the Parks course taught you more than a few track days would? If it was better than what you get at a track day with instructors, what were some of the things they taught?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #26
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Actually I was suprised to see several air cooled cruisers since it is so hot. I would say there is an equal number of sportbikes and cruisers, around. Usually when I ride in town I see way more cruisers than I did on post. Tell you son to be careful on Ft. Irwin road!
Old 01-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #27
sportriderjed
Founding Member

HA! Good one. They could have a ghetto version where they shoot at you and you have to make it out. Or maybe a combat version were you dodge roadside bombs. Now to ride on post you have to have a day glow green or orange thing on your body and jump through several hoops too. I hear some unit commanders have tried to prevent some of their troops from riding stating it is too dangerous. You can ride around Iraq in a humvee with bombs and stuff, but a motorcycle is too dangerous...kinda funny isn't it?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:31 PM   #28
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Thanks for the kind words. I agree about the basic course, but I think a trackday would be better for renewal. Wouldn't it be a blast to have the CHP run a trackday with them on the track with you and a few classes thrown in...then you would really know if you could outrun those beemers! And instead of the beer goggles we could have volunteers ride pocket bikes through cones after downing some brews. Now that would be fun!
Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #29
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: U-turns

Of the three locations I've lived in (AZ, FL, PA) I would choose AZ as the best of the bunch for driving. Atleast those f*ckers drive fast, real fast.

In PA everyone seems to ride the brake and it is IMPOSSIBLE to go anywhere quickly.

Florida is just a damn train wreck where street lights are more of a suggestion than a law and you have a combination of people driving 25 in a 45 while drifting inbetween 2 lanes and the jack@ss doing 80 in a residential area. South Florida just blows for my tastes.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #30
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Interesting article - I took the course several years ago in San Diego, and it was a full two days plus one weekday evening (watching videos, as I recall). It was similar to what you described, but we practiced locking up the rear wheel when stopping on a stretch of sand the instructor set up, and even rode around a bumpy field to get a feel for low traction (fun on my '86 GSXR1100). We also practiced using the front brake 'til it started to lock the tire, and also practiced hard panic stops. Too bad it's only a half day now.

Here's a question for California residents - what's the name of the lake in the photo (it's not Tenaya)?
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote