Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #11
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: MSF Advanced Rider Course

Didn't you need a willing WAVE to ride?
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
SuperBill
Founding Member

Nice article – thanks.

I took some sort of mandatory motorcycle course at the sub base in San Diego in 1976. IÂ’d been riding a few years by then, and I wasnÂ’t impressed. Slow race, indeed.

Fast forward to 2004. An acquaintance took the basic MSF course at the local community college and thought it was great. I decided what the heck, and signed up for the ERC. Did the whole course two-up with the wife – the only worthwhile thing I learned is that I can’t lock up the back brake of my old airhead Beemer while riding two-up. I’m still not impressed.

I agree with the author that a track day is a much better investment of time and money.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: U-turns

Fortunately I live just outside Philly where there is still a lot of farm land and back roads. But, the main towns are terminally retarded when it comes to road design...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
teknoman
Registered Member

Outside of Philly was nice. We had to go from Philly to Cape May,NewJerseyand even though it was at night,it was nice.Had to stop at 9th and passeyunk to go to Pat,s to get the best philly steak in the world! My wife is uncanny about finding streets in different cities,She ,s the pilot ,I,m the navigator.You would have died seeing this black couple from las vegas with newyawk accents in an italian /police neighborhood saying things "gimme more cheeze whiz and hey where,s the garniere?We had to come back to Philly to take our plane back home and yes the bridges,the roads are retarded.We did better at night than we did during the day!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
nomad62
Registered Member

I did a lot of riding in Florida when I was in the Navy and never owned any of the bikes. Between duty sections and being underway, some poor squid would turn loose his keys. I don't remember it being a big deal either. By the way, my favorite bike to borrow was a GS550 with a full windjammer. Florida ain't curvy, just long windy stretches.
nomad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #16
johnnyb
Founding Member

O how i savor the delicious Irony of Motorcycle Safety juxtaposed with we're-a-little-short-on-body-armor and Clues this month... what a world.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Nice article, at one time I thought about taking this course and then becoming an instructor. A speeding ticket put a damper on that... Still think the Basic Rider Class should be required to get your first motorcycle license/endorsement with the Experienced Rider course being required at time of renewel... However, I am sure many GPTB members like longride and Buz would fail it.. So maybe require people to attend it but not pass it... Nice job Jed
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #18
pudlepirate
Registered Member

I ride 10000+ miles a year in the northeast, but I have experienced east, west and gulf coast drivers rather extensively, and by this I mean at least 5000 miles each for gulf and west and about a 90k for the eastern seaboard. I am not horribly familiar with the midwest but I can vouch for the shear lunacy of the rest of the nations drivers. "No Virginia, you're not paranoid, they really are trying to kill you!" my strategy is to drive a bike that can turn, stop and get the f out the way in a hurry. lets hear it for liter class nakeds!
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #19
sportriderjed
Founding Member

I agree for the rookies, but I think a MOfoe trackday would be better!
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #20
sportriderjed
Founding Member

If that were the case I think I would need to take it every few days! Those are the Hawaiian Tropic Girls. We were at a celebrity golf tournament and put on a little display with the aircraft for the people donating money to help support various charities. They were very friendly until they found out they could not get a ride in the helicopter...
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote