Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-24-2005, 03:10 AM   #71
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

Default Re: First Ride: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja® 650R

Have you tried a 270 degree vertical twin? Less vibration with V twin sound. Anyone know the crank layout on the 650R?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2005, 05:37 AM   #72
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The main mark agains the FZ6 is that everyone that has reviewed the bike has complained about the engine being really buzzy. MO rated it in the back of the pack (not last. but back there).

I really like the looks and it seems to offer wind protection and good ergos, but this bike appeals to me more since it seems to have more wind protection with more of a standard seating position...and a few bucks cheaper.

I'm pretty sure the Yamahamaha has more power, but the reported 72 horses that the Euro naked version has sounds fine to me.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:41 PM   #73
KLRer
Founding Member

Right, I just read or reread the MO comparo review of an 04 FZ-6. I've seen similar comments elsewhere. Too bad because the FZ-6 reportedly has good upright ergos and I've always liked its looks. Being the fastest in a straight line counts for something too.

The Ninja 650R is a clean/sleek looking bike, especially from the front. And it might have just the right amount of usuable power for most riders. Just wish the ergos werent a little tight for taller riders. Maybe an adjustable seat next year....
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #74
staff
Registered Member

Interesting. Although she stands 5'1" her inseam is only a couple of inches shorter than mine, yet I was adequately planted on the ground. Women typically have longer legs and shorter torsos than men. Guys are the other way around; longer upper body but shorter legs. Maybe that's why a woman's legs are so important to us men =)

I would speculate that her over all height seems like a disadvantage on this bike due to her upper body length. I'm guessing that this creates a bit of a stretch to the bars for her which would in turn pull her farther over the tank, effectively pulling her legs and feet back and up from the ground. Just a guess here.--Pete
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:46 PM   #75
staff
Registered Member

"180-degree crankshaft plus balancer shaft for extremely smooth engine operation. "

Straight from Kawi's materials.--Pete

staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #76
spombe7
Founding Member

You can go here to find out what new owners of the 650 say about the bike: http://www.ninja650.com/phpbb/.

It seems that Kawi suggests the use of regular gas, and the average mileage is about 50 MPG, which is quite good for a brand new bike at 650cc displacement.
spombe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #77
Chrisbuyer
Founding Member

I currently ride a 2004 Suzuki VStrom 650 and don't think I'll be persuaded to buy the new ninja. Tank is to small and there is no luggage rack on the back. What good is that? I commute about 90 miles each way on my Vstrom and have 44,000 troublefree miles on it so far. Range is king in my book.
Chrisbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 AM   #78
OhioSteve
Founding Member

I am delighted to see more information on this new model. I love the bike's styling and riding position. Also, it is injected, so it will start easily in cold weather. However, this bike will face some serious competition from Kawa's own sportbikes.

As an absolute beginner bike, the Ninja 500r may be a better value. It is cheaper and has a more docile powerplant. I don't think that an absolute beginner needs 66hp.

As a second bike, the ZZR-600 may be superior to the new ninja. It has MUCH better brakes, and GOBS of aftermarket support (because it is a rebadged 1999 Ninja Zx-6r).

It is great to see Kawa producing so many sportbikes for budget-minded buyers. They are providing consumers with some great products. I look forward to seeing this bike on the showroom floor.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 PM   #79
OhioSteve
Founding Member

I saw one today! It was black, and it was BEAUTIFUL. D@mn, this bike is sleek, curvy and sexy.

I have not seen an '06 ZZR 600 yet, but it also looks cool in pictures. The ZZR has much better brakes, and adjustable suspension. I still think that the ZZR may be a better value overall.

Either bike would be a big improvement on my GS500F. I am outgrowing it.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #80
RRocket
Founding Member

Default It doesn't look as hot as the Euro version...

I think the bodywork on the US spec bike is a snoozer. Boring. Plain. The looks are those of a late 90's bike at best. The un-faired Euro version looks terrific. This generic looking bike won't get my cash. It's 2006. I demand style to match the technology now....
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote